Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking gorton #2's

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
i did two jobs recently where i used #2's on the longer main and either a Hoffman 75 or gorton#1 on the short main. on both jobs the #2's emitted steam/water vapor while the other vents functioned properly.this was after 4 out of 6 #2's failed the blow test out of the box. I've read a number of posts on this site about leaking #2's. i think that we have to draw the obvious conclusion that there is something wrong with the #2's. from here on in there will be no more #2's for me. i will probably stock up on the #1's and put in 3 or 4 in place of every #2. i know this involves more work but i really do not have the time to do every main vent job twice.

PS if Toyota can have such serious production problems there is no reason to think that it cant happen to gorton. i do very much hope that someone from gorton reads this site and addresses this issue.

Comments

• steam-rookie
    steam-rookie Member Posts: 128
    Keep an eye on this thread

I just ordered 2 gorton #2`s from Pex supply. They are on back-order. As soon as they arrive at my door I am going to install them. If they leak, I will be returning them to pex and getting a refund.

I will post my G2 experience here when I get them.
    73 year old one pipe system with original American standard boiler, oil fired becket, 2 inch steel pipe main, 100 feet long, with 8 radiators above.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    do the blow test

when u get them hold them upright and try to blow through. u should be able to blow with ease. then turn them upside down and blow again. you should not be able to blow at all. best of luck
  • steam83
    steam83 Member Posts: 19
    valves

is that how you can test all your valves
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    yes

its not foolproof but if it fails the blow test then you know that the valve is no good. its possible to pass the blow test and still not function properly
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    test rig ;-)

Very high tech test rig. Hey. Its Friday. Gimme a break!

-Terry
    terry
  • TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    vertical?

shouldn't the vent be vertical to work properly?

nice idea though.
    beautiful Conshohocken PA
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Can't build much pressure in a teakettle anyway, but

I use it to confirm closure with steam temperatures. The upside down test still checks for a full seal. Hoffmans will still pop closed. BTW, just use an inch of water so you can tilt it to a vertical position if desired.

Be aware, however, that best practices suggest the use of proper safety equipment as pictured below.

Given this decidedly low pressure vessel's low marginal utility for vent testing, it finds it's best use in other applications. Tea Time!

-Terry
    terry
  • steam-rookie
    Just in case

My gorton #2`s are still on back-order from Pex Supply

When I get them I will be performing the blow test

Just in case they fail this test, HOW MANY HOFFMAN 75`s will I need to get to equal the two G2`s??
    73 year old one pipe system with original American standard boiler, oil fired becket, 2 inch steel pipe main, 100 feet long, with 8 radiators above.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Blow test

When you invert the vent and blow into it gravity in pushing the float into the valve seat.  When installed the steam heats the bi-metal strip it expands pushing the float into the valve seat.  So it is very possible for it to pass the blow test and fail under steam. 
  • steam-rookie
    blow test

I understand that the brand new G2`s could pass the blow test and still not work properly when installed

I will check with Pex Supply and find out the return policy for a G2 that has been installed.

I would still like to know how many hoffman 75`s I will need to make up the venting capacity of the two gorton 2`s ??
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Member Posts: 19
    H75s

When both are working as intended, two Hoffman 75s are about equal to one Gorton #2.
This discussion has been closed.