Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cold cellar

Options
Rick_41
Rick_41 Member Posts: 67
Ok now that I have wrapped all my pipes really well, my cellar is really cold. Its   unfinshed but I like to be down there to do bench work etc. I have previously put up 4' 1 1/2 duct insulation with reflective surface and it has made the cellar warmer and much brighter and has stopped some inflitration (sheet plastic on walls first)

But I was wondering if I could place a  small fan to blow across the 6 foot of vent pipe (the draft temp is over 500 degrees) to take out some of the stack heat before it goes out the chimney. I doubt it will drop the exhaust temp so much that chimney condensation would be a problem.

But could I splice the fan motor to come on when the burner fires w/o problem? As small fans don't draw many amps.

If the air is blown from the back, would this effect the baro damper?(the air hitting the back of the damper)

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I Remember Those ...

...They use to make them years ago ...or right after oil hit $1 a gallon ... They were a box with small horizontal tubes running across the flue passage . A fan forced air through the tubes .. They also had a plate with a rod and handle that scraped the tubes clean ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    There You Go...........

....... :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.