Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help moving heating system pipe in 10 unit apt buildling

Options
We are working in a 10-unit building and have demo'd a wall to expose brick.  At base of entire length of wall is a copper pipe that connects to the hot-water boiler-based heating system that runs through all apartments.  There are aluminum fins in some places, and just the bare pipe in others.  But now that the wall is gone, the bare copper pipe along that wall is about 5 inches into the middle of the room. i would like to move it against the wall, and that seems to require shutting the entire system down, draining it (and since this unit is in the basement, it would have to be completely drained), doing the pipe changes with normal copper and solder, and starting the whole system up again.  But that's not really an option, especially in the middle of winter, in a multi-family building.  Plus its just too much work and very risky, in case something goes wrong with the repair. 

Does anyone have any ideas or hi-tech solutions to solve this dilemna?  The other day i had a related issue with a water pipe and needed to cap a line, again in the basement, but water kept coming out and we could never solver a cap one.  So we used one of the new Shark Bite fittings that simply slip over the 1/2" supply line and it works like a charm.  I wonder if they can be used with heating system pipes as well?   But since the system is under pressure, i still think it would have to be turned off, unless there is a new gadget somewhere that can cut and cap the line all in one shot ...

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pipe

Would it possible to "pre-fab" a new section of pipe in the location you are looking to move it to, this way when it comes time to change out that section that is in the wall now you would only have to make a few connection's and that would be less down time, if you can get your hands on a pro-press machine the job will go alot smother, as far as Sharkbit ftgs go, I am not sure alot of guys would use them on Hot Water heat and bury them in a wall, I think if you want to re-locate that section of pipe you have no choice but to secure and drain, unless you can get someone into to isolate & freeze the section that has to be moved, but that could get very expensive, especially if it is large pipe,
  • digger_2
    digger_2 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Quik shutdown

If possible, shutdown and drain. Cut supply and return servicing the radiation to be moved. Sweat on new valves at cuts or, if you can't stop a drip long enough to solder a valve on, use an MIP x sweat adapter and a threaded valve. You can stop a drip with a jet sweat or by simply stuffing a rag in the pipe beyond the solder joint. Don't forget to remove the rag when finished.

Once valves are in place you can restart system and move the radiation in your good old time.
This discussion has been closed.