Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator color

Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
Is there any evidence that radiator color makes a difference?  I know so many of the big mass old radiators in the were painted w/aluminum paint by whomever but I had heard it wasn't a good idea as it impeded heat transfer but I have also heard that because its right on the meatal w/no space that it doesn't work to do that...but is there any advantage to its surface emitting more heat? I'm thinking the thickness of the paint aluminum or not would be more of a hindrance than any benefit. But if a radiator WAS painted,..would a dark color be of ant benefit?

Anyone see any studies o this?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    Any colour

except the metallics can be used without detriment to the radiator.  The metallics -- including aluminium -- should not be used, as they do reduce the heat output of the radiator.  The reason is that their reflectivity is high, which means their emissivity is low, which is a fancy way of saying that they don't radiate as much heat into the room, for a given temperature, as other colours do.

Has nothing to do with the thickness of the paint.  In fact, one way to improve the efficiency of a radiator which has metallic paint is to paint it some other colour -- such as to match the room or the trim!  Most paints -- even dark colours -- have about the same reflectivity/emissivity.

You are dealing with two different means of heat transfer -- conductivity in which the steam warms the metal which warms the paint which warms the air which then rises and heats the room, which isn't affected by paint colour, and radiation, in which the stearm warms the metal which warms the paint which radiates energy into the room -- which is affected by paint colour.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    edited January 2010
    Metallic...vs....

I have used metallic on my steam radiators with no noticable decrease in radiation....they are HOT and radiate fine. The reason I went with metallic is because it is so thin and is almost like a wash, even after a refresh coat (12 years in between coats); where a second coat of regular paint starts to look thick and gunky and has the potential for peeling.  I spray it on very thin..just for the refreshed even look and don'thave to prep except for a dust and wash down with water.  This is on radiators that had their original factory "finish" before (1923), or maybe some really old metallic paint that had worn off, no regular paint.  Didn't use the high-heat type, as they didn't have the color I wanted (bronze).
This discussion has been closed.