Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Worn gasket behind inducer motor

bluemanblueman Posts: 11Member
The rubber gasket behind the draft inducer motor on one of our American Standard high efficiency condensing gas furnaces appears to be mostly corroded.

I have read elsewhere the suggestion to replace it with a silicon bead.

-- Is that considered good (and safe) practice or is that more of a "hack" type repair?

-- Would something like GE Silicon II caulk be appropriate or is there a special silicon engineered for this application?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 4,279Member
    The silicon repair should be a

temporary repair until a new gasket can be ordered.
  • Empire_2Empire_2 Posts: 2,343Member
    edited January 2010
    RTV SIlicone

Typically red in co;or is good up to 600*.  This may either be your final fix or like stated above, till the gasket arrives.  On an off note:  if you ever run into a boiler pump with a non stock gasket there is a product out call "Right Stuff".  I even used on a pool pumps 6 years ago and still holding.  Right stuff if your in a bind.  It does not have the temp ratting As the RTV, but great for gasket..

MY .02

Mike T.
  • bluemanblueman Posts: 11Member
    No gasket, just RTV Silicone

Just heard from  American Standard Tech support:

"There is not a gasket for the inducer motor. It is actually silicone that the dealer applies that creates the seal."

Thanks for all the help!
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!