Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What was the first Condensing Boiler?

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
How is your memory, I think the first was the Hydrotherm Hydro-pulse (Pulse Combustion Boiler). Anybody think of one before that? At the same time here in the USA as far as warm air I believe the Lennox Pulse Combustion Furnace. What do you say?

Comments

• I think you're right

As I understand it, the Hydrotherm Pulse boilers date back to the 1950's, while being introduced to the general public in the late 1970's.  Overall, they may still be the most efficient design since they use virtually no electricity during the regular combusion process.  The draft inducing fans are only needed on startup and the heat exchanger is not very restrictive, so pumps don't need to be very large.  AFUE's of 95% don't mean much if you'r eating up 300 watts of power to run a fan and pump.

Boilerpro

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Me too,,,,

I was going to say that, but figured I would get trounced-on! :-)

Hydro-Pulse was well ahead of their time,,, not many knew how to service them so they got "ripped-out "and inherited a lousy reputation..

How little we knew then,,,, ;-)
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    We serviced a lot of them

when I was with the gas company. I want to include some information on the Hydro pulse A100 in my upcoming manual. Does anyone have a I and O manual I could borrow and copy and then return to you. I have a request out to Hydrotherm for one but have not heard from them.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    the FIRST condensing boiler in America....

Was the big ol' Burnham Cast Iron boiler connected to the snowmelt system at the Breckenridge Fire Station for the Red, White and Blue fire district... It was hooked up direct, no mixing, no condensate production protection.

The aquastat was set for 140 degrees F.

I believe it was installed in the 70's and to the best of my knowledge, it's still working. It's one of those things that defies explanation. And gravity :-)

Oh, you didn't mean THAT type of condensing boiler eh...

In the voice of Gilda Radner...

NEVER MIND...

The second condensing AND modulating boiler in America was brought over by a German gent by the name of Hans Pressel. He hired me to hook the gas up to it, and I could not believe how SMALL it was. He guaranteed me that it would reduce the hotels energy consumption by 30%. It reduced the energy consumption by 50%.

All of this took place in the 80's. That seems like a lifetime ago...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    PulseParts.com

There is a manual posted on the website "PulseParts.com"

Hope this helps!

Ross
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Glowcores

When did Glowcore's enter the picture? They were the first condensing boiler I came across and I did run into Hydropulse's a little later. Changing those spark plugs was a bear. I remember needing a 1/2  drive sockets with a universal swivel adapter and extensions to bust it lose. 
This discussion has been closed.