Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need source of Holohan quote.

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
Did I read or hear Mr. Holohan say these words?: "There's has never been a 2-pipe steam system designed to run on more than 2 (or so?) psi in the city of New York (or America, the world...I forgot)".

I've got a client with a vacuum assisted, 2-pipe system running on 4psi and I think it's creating a problem with some of the traps.

Thanks!
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I don't know the source of the quote,

but I can guarantee you that running on 4 psi is raising havoc with those traps, never mind the vents (if there even are any).

Dial it down.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Not exactly the quotation you're looking for…

but these make the same point.

From "We've Got Steam Heat":

"And if the knucklehead tries to set your boiler at a pressure great than two pounds per square inch, just show him this book, and tell him that he's missing something." (p. 7)

2 psi "is the most any house needs" (p. 138)

From LAOSH:

"You'll find this system [two pipe, gravity return] in older buildings designed to run on *very* low pressure (usually less than 2 psig)" (121)

Starting on p. 130, "crank it down" become a pressure control mantra.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    dan said .. the other night

i know you are all getting sick of my "dan said" posts .. but at least he knows someone was listening ..

anyway .. dan said at steam school .. it was after a meeting of ASHRAE back in the early 1900's/late 1800's  that they decided on 2psig to be the standard .. perhaps someone could remind us of this specific meeting and point us to a reference to the standard in writing ..
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    thanks!

i was listening .. but obviously not taking notes ... Carbon Club not ASHRAE
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Outstanding, Mr. H.

Thanks a bunch.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    2 PSI=2 much!

these words are for the client in this case, as i know that you [johnNY] will agree with this.

in my experience, even 2PSI is over the limit for proper operation. even though my experience is limited to 1-pipe steam, i would never go back to normal pressuretrol pressures on any system! there is no sense waiting to see if any system will need a vaporstat, because it will!

the standard supplied pressuretrol is only good for holding the mfg's instruction manual open to the correct page during boiler installation. after that with a coat of silver paint, it can become an interesting xmas tree decoration for some troublesome relative, [or ????]--nbc
This discussion has been closed.