Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electric flue dampers?? pros/cons?

Options
jpf321
jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
In looking at my flue temp recently, and realizing how cold it got for just a few minutes with the fluebox open...i've started giving more thought to the idea electric flue damper...it makes perfect sense, keep the hot air in and the cold air out .. i'd hate to think what my living room would feel like if the fireplace flue damper were left open ..

so what's the deal? do people feel there are important? save money? are headaches? does anyone with a Lascar datalogger have a motorized flue damper? can they be advanced-DIY installed?

thanks.
1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Are you not installing a new boiler soon?

A damper is of some value but the after market ones can be a major headache, literally and figuratively. If installed properly they can save standby heat loss, but if they are not installed well or fail they have the potential to fill a nice home with loads of soot and CO. both are not fun to have. Also their use on oil is even less welcome as the higher stack temps and solids in the combustion product make for an even shorter life of the units.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • jpf321
    Options
    i'm working on it ..

i'm working on the new boiler .. I have had 3 gentleman through to provide a quote in the last week .. so far one of them seemed most trained at "the art" and professed that he had been an alumni of Dan's schoolnight(s) .. he's also the only one that said "ok can we go up now and measure your rads?" .. of course then I just handed him my worksheet printout and smiled .. most of them are a little taken aback when I suggest what I want and why while donning my Dead Men Pride Hoodie .. and that I would like them to use my vaporstat and low pressure gauge, you can forego the auto-feed (i can add it later), what about the SlantFin TR-30? oh yeah and leave my glass pipe :-)

thanks for the feedback on the flue damper .. i'll not have that on my list anytime soon.

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,332
    Options
    We had

electric stack dampers on our oil fired units.  They're gone.  This was some years ago, and it is possible that the newer units are more reliable -- but the ones we had would fail to open rather frequently, which caused no heat, and the resulting hassles were much more of a problem to us than the potential heat loss up the chimney (at that time the museum was unattended at nights and on weekends).  They also failed open now and then.

If you should be inspired to put one on -- which I from our experience cannot recommend -- it absolutely must be tied into the burner controls so that the burner cannot fire unless it is fully open.  Otherwise they are a major safety hazard.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jpf321
    Options
    thanks ..

i would have assumed that they only way to install them was tied into burner controls for obvious reasons .. but maybe there isn't .. thanks for your comments .. 2thumbs down so far. 

This discussion has been closed.