Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temperature difference betwen rooms?

KBP&H_3
KBP&H_3 Member Posts: 67
Anyone know if there is a standard for the temperature difference between 2 adjacent  ew baseboard heated rooms.. Have a situation where 2 completely different chacteristic roomms are 1 degree apart when it is 20* out,, both w/ a'c attic ceiling regs, 1- 6x14' w/ 2 old windows, other ( w/ t stat) 12x15 w/1 new ,1 old window,  rooms are about 1* apart on average at 20 or 25 at night, ,, homeowner isn't happy,, but it's okay when it's 40 out,   ????

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    One degree and he's unhappy????

I'm glad he's your customer and not mine. Most thermostats aren't that accurate. If its OK at 40 and 1 degree off at 20, what's it like at zero or below. Sounds like a simple balance issue to me, or a customer really getting picky.......did he pay you or is he just looking for an excuse not to? Sorry to sound cynical, but it sounds a little crazy to me to be unhappy over one degree......never heard of such a thing,

Good luck !!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    You have absolutely

got to be kidding.  I would nbe exceedingly surprised if the temperature in any one room was constant throughout the room to 1 degree, never mind two rooms with different characteristics.  There might be a few megabuck commercial ovens (such as for semi-conductor manufacturing) which could achieve that precision, but... a heating system in real life?  As Al said, glad he's not my customer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Measuring device??

How is he or you measuring the temps?  If he has a seperate thermometer in each room theres your answer.

Gordy
  • homeowner isn't happy?

WOW,,, never heard of anyone complain about this!!

As you know, doing a heatloss is not an EXACT-SCIENCE, I have had people want to argue over the diff on T86`s room temp!! :-)
  • bisquits1
    bisquits1 Member Posts: 7
    temp diff

wow, 1 degree!!  You pretty much answered your own question when you said 2 different rooms with different characteristics.  This guy has way too much time on his hands.  Good Luck on this one
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    MRT and the human brain...

Ever heard of "cold 70"? Sure you have. Dan has written about it numerous times.

I'm guessing that this has been a problem forever, and you just happen to be the unlucky servant who is catching the customers wrath in his effort to correct the situation.

Talk him in to purchasing an wireless thermostat, and then HE can dictate where the thermostat is set and what rooms are comfy. A word of caution. Once the cold room warms up, the other rooms will probably REAL warm, and create another problem.

He has a pain. If you fix it, you are the king.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.