Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Vents from Home Depot lasted 2 nights HELP

Options
Goody
Goody Member Posts: 11
I am in the process of replacing/cleaning radiator vents.  I have a 3 unit building with about 14 1 pipe radiators total.  Most of the vents are Dole 1-A that are about $35 dollars to replace.  I have successfully boiled a few and that seemed to help.  I bought a few adjustable vents from Home Depot and they already don't work.  (can't blow air thru them anymore)  Any recommendations on a certain vent or do I need to spend the money for the same Doles Brand?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,325
    Options
    Several good brands

Hoffman, Dole, Gorton... that I can think of right away.  There is a reason they cost money, though, and I think you may have found out what it is...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • joe p_3
    joe p_3 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    vents

also make sure the little curved doohickey is in place - i believe this prevents debris from entering the vent.  check the pitch - are the radiators all pitching back toward the pipe?  no pitch, the unit gets waterlogged, no steam.
  • Goody
    Goody Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Most Radiators Pitched wrong way

exactly.  Checked today and majority of Radiators are significantly pitched the wrong way.  Some up to an inch pitch in the wrong direction.  (Feet broken off)  I even had water in the air vents.  Probably a stupid question, but this will prevent the radiator from getting hot???  Thank you. 
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    closed vents

closed or partially closed vents will prevent rad heating .. in a steam column radiator (with the upper sections not connected across) improper pitching could cause the radiator to stop heating prematurely.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    venting questions

check your main vents, and boil your radiator vents. the radiator vents can only handle the riser + radiator volume. it is the main vents which do 95% of the work. if they are not functioning, then it is the gas co.+your wallet which do the work of letting the air out.

check your pressure, to make sure that it is not too high, and preventing  the main vents from working. 12 ounces is ideal.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.