Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

kitchen appliance brand suggestions? (OT)

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
We are shopping new dishwashers, looking for stainless front & inside. With all the claims of steam, and hidden elements and food grinders, and the ratings at consumer reports, we just cannot make up our minds! anyone have a favorite brand or a new unit that you really like, or one you don't?

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    DW

We love our Miele dishwasher.  My house has an open floorplan,  the Miele can be running with the TV on 15' away , and you can't hear it.  It is also the only DW I have ever installed that is suggested to be hooked to the cold water line. 

Pricey-  but good
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    dishwasher selection

have a look inside at any filters which will eventually get plugged up-how easy are they to clean. if they must be replaced, are the parts easy to obtain [always happens on saturday morning, with company coming that night!]

more info here: [url=http://applianceguru.com/]http://applianceguru.com/

nbc
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2010
    To many choices

We bought all GE Profile SS appliances when we remodeled the kitchen 3 years ago. So far so good.  The dishwasher is SS inside, and out, Has smart dispense for the detergent which is a nice touch holds about a whole bottle. Just cant switch types of detergent or it will cake in the dispenser. Deffinetly cant throw dishes in from table to dishwasher, not that I have had one you could. Very quiet gotta check sometimes to know if you started it.

Just bought Electrolux front load Washer and Dryer....The sweds have got it going on. talk about quiet, and green.

Gordy
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    electrolux

We just bought the top of line washer / dryer front loaders from electrolux as well, and love them to death. Great units. Steam feature on dryer is great for guys like me who do not fold. Too bad their dishwasher got such neg reviews. We are loking at maytags but are open to suggestions. We have a GE cafe range that we like so GE is certainly an option. Choices!!  Thanks for the input...we will look into the other brands mentioned as we are ready to spend for the right units.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    Just to further confuse you!

We have a mix of appliances.  The dishwasher is a Bosch undercounter unit; we love it, and so far (4 years) it's been very reliable.  SS inside, black front but I think it comes in SS too.  Stove and microwave GE profile.  Ice box SubZero.  In one way it's sort of like boilers and oil burners, though -- make sure the dealer knows his stuff, and that there is good service available if you need it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 723
    many are the same inside

I inspected an Electrolux freezer plant a year or so ago and saw that the main difference between many brands is the label on the front.  Electrolux, Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, Amana, GE, and others that I can't think of now are all made at the same plant, on the same lines, with the same parts, by the same people.  Compressors come from either China or Brazil. 

The corporate safety guy walking with me was from a dishwasher plant in North Carolina where they make all those brands.  It's really amazing that they can pump out so many machines a day.  Overall quality, I think is decent, and reliability should be about the same for any of those brands.

If you buy an American brand, I would suggest that you buy on price and features.  And no, they don't last as long as they used to.  I had lots of fun with our old Maytag dishwasher a few years ago and the new one works and is quiet but I don't think it performs as well.  Probably due to smaller motor and pump to get the energy efficiency ratings.

Good luck

Larry
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Buy American

I just remodeled the kitchen everything new. SS appliances. Because of the high unemployment I thought I would try to buy american. We went with GE except the dishwasher Bosch. I felt a little guilty about the german dishwasher. While installing them I read all the manuals etc. and guess what. All the GE stuff is made in Mexico and the Bosch is made in USA. We are pleased with all of them.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2010
    Electrolux

I put them to the test when we got them. Packed the washer full of work clothes. They came out cleaner then ever. Was amazed at how little water was used, just enough to get the clothes wet, about less then a quarter of the old top loader. Then I was amazed at how much water was removed in the spin cycle. Just when I thought it was up to max rpm it grabbed another gear. Cuts down on the dry time.

All this and quiet.

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.