Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper Maintaince of boiler

Options
JIMBO_2
JIMBO_2 Member Posts: 127
Just acquired a 2-family house with 2 30-year old Weil McLain CG 3 boilers.  Other than cleaning the area beneath the gas-fired tubes and oiling the circulator, what is my best course of maintaining these boilers to keep running well?  Each boiler has a simple fintube  run, that is all.  I have no idea what maintance has been done up to now, so I would like to get an idea of what should be addressed.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    a good tech

would examine between the sections to check for soot buildup and clean them properly if necessary. The exhaust gas should be checked for CO level, and the manifold pressure checked to see that it is where the boiler's label says it should be, usually 3.5" WC.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    CG maintenance

Try and locate your local Weil McLain rep to see if a copy of the boiler manual is still available. They usually outline routine maintenance tasks in the boiler manuals.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Hire a good professional

to do annual maintenance including a combustion analysis. Have millivolt readings taken if a thermocouple system on the pilot. Make sure the draft is tested when combustion test is done. Have the pro check inlet and outlet gas pressure and clock the burner to insure the firing rate is correct then do the combustion adjustments to bring the boiler to maximum firing rate. Have the chimney checked to make sure it is clean and not restricted in any way. Have the pro insure that adequate air for combustion is present and also make up air for the dryer. While this is being done have all the equipment in the house tested for proper combustion including the gas oven if you cook with gas. Also check the gas water heater and the dryer.

Make sure the system shuts off on limit. Have them blow out pilots to insure that the safety drops out.

I know I will get some flack on this but make sure all the pressure relief valves work on equipment.

As a final check with all the equipment in the house running and all the fans running check for good draft at the chimney. And at the same time do a ambient test for carbon monoxide.

Make sure you have CO detectors in the house and smoke alarms.
This discussion has been closed.