Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help opening inlet valve

Options
I need to open a inlet valve but the knob on top is missing. There is a small screw where the dial/knob would be. I turned it open but the radiator did not heat up. Do I open the nut? Thanks

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    if the valve

if you were able to turn the valve stem lefty-loosey (counterclockwise)then it should be open .. when the "heat comes up" does the valve assembly get hot .. YEOWCHY! hot?

if the valve assembly gets hot, and you have turned the stem all to the left and the radiator still doesn't get hot, then the problem is in your venting .. do you have only 1-pipe to each radiator (presumably the valve you are looking at)? if you do then there is probably a little vent on the opposite end of the radiator, about half-way up the radiator ..

is this vent painted over? is it upside down? can you post a picture of this radiator including the vent (closeup if possible)?

are there any markings or brand/model on the vent?

let us know .. thanks.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • SteamHeat
    SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Is The Shaft Turning When You Turn the Screw ?

Also, sometimes the rubber gasket comes loose inside and even if the shaft is turned all the way out, the gasket is just laying there on top of the inlet.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Radiator Knob

If you need a replacement radiator black handle (Knob)  State Supply has them. Be careful when working with the steam pipes, only work on them when they are cold. Do NOT open the "NUT!!!  Live Steam can give you a BAD burn!

- Rod

[url=http://www.statesupply.com/displayCategory.do?Id=1904]http://www.statesupply.com/displayCategory.do?Id=1904
  • sweetlou
    sweetlou Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Picture of my valve

Here is a picture of my valve. The air vent on the other side is open (varivalve). It looks like the nut below the top has been adjusted. Should this be loosened? 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Do not...

loosen that nut on top -- that holds the packing in, and it is possible to get a really truly nasty burn from live steam, and that you do not need this week.

What needs to turn is the little shaft that sticks out of the nut.  It should have "splines" on it (grooves that run parallel to the shaft) or a rather small hex on it.  In either case, the best thing to do is to find a handle which fits it properly, and try to turn it (lefty loosey) with that.  Don't try to do it with a vise grips or something, as you will ruin the shaft and then you're looking at a whole new valve.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    does the supply valve get hot?

does the supply valve get hot? does any part of the lower radiator get hot? just b/c the varivalve is open, does not mean that it's not clogged .. work on getting your valve open as other has suggested ..

if you have the valve open and still no heat, try to gently unscrew the vent and give it a good shakeout .. if it's really clogged boil it in white vinegar .. you should be able to blow through the vent when it's in the upright vertical position pointed up and not blow through when pointed down .. this is know as "the blow test" .. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.