Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe system

Have a 2 pipe system with steam traps on every radiator. The 2" mains run along the front and rear of my house pitching away from yhe boiler and at the ends are tees valves  on top. I was thinking they were main air vents, but there not making any noises or pushing out air. Was wondering if I should replace them or do they have something to do with the steam trap setup.


  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,675
    Need a bit more description, please

    At the ends of the mains -- how are the Ts set?  Does a pipe from the T go down to something?  (I presume it does -- so the condensate goes down!).  Can you describe the "valves" on the top?  Any markings on them?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • fjcruiser105
    fjcruiser105 Member Posts: 29
    Maybe Marsh brand valves

    The tees are at the end of the 2 inch main. 1 1/4 pipes come from the bottom of the tee and return to my boiler. The valves are on the top of the tee. The steam traps are from (Marsh). so I went to there website and the valves look like F & T series 50 valves, but I cant be sure. The valves are painted over so I cant get the info off them.
This discussion has been closed.