Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

to hot when it gets really cold

I have my Thermostat set at 65 I have another thermometer in the same room.    When the temp drops below 20 it seams as though my house gets to warm the thermometer in the room will read 70 sometimes it gets up to 72.   Is there anything I can do about this.   

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2009
    what type of thermostat?

what type of thermostat do you have? Brand and model? there may be setting changes someone can suggest.

it's also possible that the thermometer reading 70 is closer to the heat-source (radiator) than the thermostat. if you put the thermometer next to the t-stat for a few hours do the readings match?

when the thermometer reads 70 where it is now (in the other room) do you really want the heat off? is the rest of the house heated to your desire? chances are that if you get the thermometer room to be 65, then the rest of the house (or at least the area near the t-stat) may be 60.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • mattv34
    mattv34 Member Posts: 4
    honeywell

I have a honeywell digital thermostat not sure of the model#. The bedroom can be a little warm but not to the point where I need to shut off the heat. You could be right about the thermostat being to close to the heat source. I am going to give that a try. Thanks
  • thermostat choice

check the instructions for that stat, and verify that it is steam-rated [not all are] , and setup for steam heat.

as pointed out there is the question of "location..location..location".

is steam getting to all your radiators at the same time?--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Cycles per hour

Most -- not all -- Honeywell thermostats have a cycles per hour setting (refer to the instructions).  For steam, it should be 1.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Overshoot

There's also a setting on Honeywell thermostats you can choose if you have temperature overshoot. I think a little more detail about the equipment and the comfort issue would help with the diagnosis.
  • jpf321
    a model # would really help ..

sometimes the model number is located beneath the batteries .. have a look and let us know. 

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

• mattv34
    answers

Model # RTH7400D1008.   I checked all the settings everything looks good I have it set for steam.     
  • jpf321
    edited December 2009
    RTH7400 Manual PDF

If it helps with troubleshooting .. here is the manual:

[url=http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-1726.pdf]http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-1726.pdf

Others on this wall know far more than I.. however does the setting shown on pg 37 of the PDF have any relevance? Adaptive Intelligent Recovery? What is your set to? It is explained in greater detail again on page 53.

This sounds particularly relevant to your problem .. pg 61

PROBLEM: Heating system does not turn off and the heat temperature setting is set below the room temperature (“Heat On” is not shown in display).

SOLUTION: Check Installer Setup Number 0170, Heating and/or Cooling System Type, and make sure the setting matches the installed heating and/or cooling system.

• mattv34
    to hot

I have my system set to 1.on the recovery. I have the 0170 set to 3 conventional heat no fan.  I am just wondering if I should try to change the location of the thermostat.   Thank you for helping 
  • thermostat setup

installer setup number 240 seems to be the one to set to "1" for steam, is this what you have on yours? any other setup will yield unpredictable results--nbc
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    More info please

Someone else asked it and it's a great question. When the thermometer in the room with the thermostat reads 70, does the thermostat still say 65? Where exactly is the thermostat? Is it on an outside wall?

Did you check that the radiator in the room with the thermostat gets hot? Could it be shut off?

If you can, try setting 0240 to 2 cycles per hour. This will limit your run length, simulating the shorter runs you have when the outside temp is moderate. It might help with the overshoot. You can always change it back if it doesn't help.
This discussion has been closed.