Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any plummer in the house?

johnnyge
johnnyge Member Posts: 86
I know this is a Heating site, but I know here I can find people with a lot of experience as plummers. Today I discovered a leak on the waste pipe from the first floor bathroom. It is a pinhole leak on a lead pipe.......yes it is a lead pipe...How can i temporary fix this leak. I have  no room to placed a ruber strap. Is it any kind of epoxi or other king of putty that will seal it, at least for the next 3 months that I will renovate the bathroom?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    JB Weld

will work. Follow the instructions and make sure the pipe is dry.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• You could try,,,

some bathtub silicone caulking,,, almost as versatile as duct-tape for a quick temporary fix.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,140
    But...

plan on getting it fixed pretty quickly.  What it is is that over the years and years, lead crystallizes (really!) and once it starts to leak like that, it means it's gotten brittle -- and will leak again, at the slightest provocation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Right-On Jamie,,,,

A quick-fix only buys very limited time,,, especially with lead.

BTW- Most of us are "plumbers"  ,,, you would`nt call a psychiatrist a "shrink" (to his face) would you?  LOL. ;-)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Dave I have but thats another story.

JB weld amke sure it is clean and dry. And TEMPORARY. I have seen duct tape used and the spray on stop leak they have in the hardware stores. I have also had people live with emptying a bucket ever day for years.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    I'm not a plummer or a plumber,

so I would wrap it with a rag then tape it up with electrical tape.

Then I would put the house up for sale.

Maybe sell it to a plummer for a discount. :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• reminds me of a joke

2 plumbers walk into a house like that---they buy the place!! [with apologies to the original unmodified joke]--nbc
This discussion has been closed.