Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what is this noise called again?

HenryT Member Posts: 128
Hi all.

What do we call that noise that occurs at the end of heating cycle caused by contraction of the pipe feeding the heating valve? (looking for proper plumbing term from pros)

Can anyone shed some light on how to get rid of it?



  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 22,928
    Not sure

    if there's a technical term for it, although I suppose there must be...

    If it's caused by contraction, though, the only way to get rid of it is to find out if it's coming from a pipe rubbing on something and, if it is, see if you can move the pipe a bit to improve the clearance or it has been suggested to put a piece of plastic milk jug in there, to help it slide.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.