Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Limestone Sand Above Ground Wet Return ?

Options
SteamHeat
SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
Has anyone heard of putting limestone sand around a wet return pipe that is not buried?

I have a wet return that is about 0.5" above the concrete floor and about 0.75" away from the concrete wall. My spouse wanted the boiler room cleaned up before the new boiler is installed, and swept up the floor.

There was a lot of what looked like sand underneath and in between the wall and pipe.

We thought it was 70 year old paint and concrete dust because the concrete walls are painted and just at the floor line the paint and some of the concrete have eroded off the wall.

But now I am wondering if one of the previous homeowners or original builder put limestone sand underneath and behind the pipe since it is so close to the concrete wall and floor.

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, where can I get limestone sand to replace what was swept away?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Chances are

it was 70 years or so of slow disintegration of the concrete and mortar, leaving just the sand which was in the concrete, with some mortar (lime) covering it.  I'd be happier, were it my pipe, to leave it in the open.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamHeat
    SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Floors Will Look Better Too :-)

Thanks Jamie we'll leave it clean. It took quite a while to sweep and wet swiffer up all that sandy stuff.  I was not looking forward to the reaction if I said we had to dump sand back behind and below the pipe. :-)

I wonder if now the basement will get more warmth from the hot water in the wet return giving off heat to an area the is now more free to air circulation with the sand and paint chips cleaned away. That would be an added benefit. :-)
This discussion has been closed.