Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cracked Radiator

Options
Help Please,

I've discovered that one of my radiators is cracked and leaking.  I have no clue as to how to fix it.  What should I do -- call my oil company and see if they can repair, do it myself (need guidance).  I've not turned the boiler on yet this season and now concerned that the crack will get bigger when I turn the heat on.  Any information would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Well,,,,,

It`s TOAST!

Better find another than bother with welders,,,,, get a PRO-in and change-it. :-)
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,531
    Options
    This may help

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/11/Hot-Tech-Tips/137/An-old-radiator-Q-A

Scroll down a bit when you get there. Good luck.
    Retired and loving it.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    leaking radiator

could your system be over-pressuring due to a hot water coil leak, or waterlogged expansion tank, or...? is it the radiator or the valve?--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Do read

the Q&A which Dan directed you to.  It's well worth it.

As he notes, the real question is where, exactly, is the leak?  If it is the cast iron itself which is cracked, Dave may be right -- but before you consider it toast, do try the JB Weld trick.  It's worked for me -- sometimes.  Not always.

On the other hand if the leak is actually between sections, it's well worth the effort to see if you can get the radiator apart.  Much easier said than done, but doable.  Then there are several approaches which will probably work, depending on exactly what's given way to cause the leak.  Might be a push nipple -- most likely is.  They can be replaced.  Or, whether it is or not, some folks here have had excellent luck cleaning everything up, wire brush and the whole nine yards, and making a gasket using red RTV and then reassembling.

More thoughts are available, if you like...

Don't give up on the puppy until you are really sure that it's toast.  New or used radiators aren't cheap, even if you can find one to fit, and it's worth giving a repair a shot.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Are you for real Jamie?

Unless the rads are very intricate, they scrap them everyday,,,,, give your head a shake on realism!
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    location?

Depending on your location, someone from this site (like me) may have 20 or more radiators stocked in various shapes and sizes. Is your system hot water or steam? Can you post pictures of the radiator & crack?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    I know

they are scrapped every day.  Unfortunately.  I do a fair amount of advising on historic building renovation -- which means, among other things, that you repair or replace in kind -- no substitutions.  Sometimes a substitution is regrettable; sometimes it is simply not permitted without reams and reams of paperwork.  It is much better to repair something like a leaking radiator if at all possible; in fact, in some cases unless you have shown that you have attempted a repair and it is not feasible, you can't substitute.

This is not true for certain mechanical components, such as boilers, pumps, and some traps, nor for electrical "innards" (e.g. you can -- and must -- use a modern 3 prong outlet to replace an old outlet -- but you can't replace the old coverplate with a modern one).

It is an interesting game...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Circa_1850
    Circa_1850 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Cracked Radiator

Thanks to all for your responses.  I've taken a picture of the radiator and the crack.  It's on the outside, last flange (?).  Based on what you see, can it be repaired by the J-B Weld method or do I shut the puppy down and see about getting one to replace it??? 
  • Likely a weak casting flaw,,,,

not uncommon then & even more predominant now(given our materials),,,, that looks like a "thin-tube" water/steam radiator,,,, I would just look around for a replacement. Not that uncommon.
  • Circa_1850
    Circa_1850 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    So far so good.....

Found the J-B Weld at Lowes and applied to my radiator over the weekend.  Ran a bit, but it's not that big a deal.  Turned on heat today and seems to be holding up just fine.  Will check all the others during the heating season.  Thanks to everyone for the help, tip, advice, etc.  Most likely will keep an extra package on hand just in case...
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Start looking for a replacement

The JB weld is fine for a quick fix for a short time. I have not seen it hold for very long, usually not a whole season. Good luck and happy radiator hunting.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.