Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flexible ducts and new metal ducts

Options
JAMJTX
JAMJTX Member Posts: 2
I was told that I should replace my flexible ducts with metal for more efficiency.  Is this correct?

Also, if I am going to do duct work, I am thinking about relocating the vents.

All of the vents are on the floor, against outside walls.  I am thinking that the ducts should be as short as possible for optimum efficiency.  Will it make sense to move the vents to an inside all, where each duct will be 10-12 feet shorter, while still running to each room?  My house is about 700 square feet.  It's basically a box, with 2 bedrooms and a bath on one side and the kitchen / living are on the other side.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Are you having problems

with getting enough heat? If not leave the ducts alone, if anything increase the number of ret7urns for better efficiency. Registers should be located on outside walls not inside and usually under windows to allow heat transfer into the living space and cut off cold air from windows. If ducts are sized correctly and you have good return air the system should work fine.

Now having said that flexible ducts may not be as air tight as metal well insulated ducts but changing over can be costly. So it it ain't broke don't fix it.
This discussion has been closed.