Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paul system retrofit

Options
Luv'nsteam
Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
In rereading TLAOSH in, preparation of my boiler install, I began to wonder about converting my one-pipe, parallel-flow/counter-flow (last 10 feet of the steam main), gravity-return steam heating system into a "Paul" vacuum system, as suggested by Dan.

What parts are required for this conversion? 

Who makes these parts and/or does anyone know where to purchase (or how to build) them?

Does anyone out there know the rules required for laying out the vent pipe in this system?

For instance, the Paul Exhauster works using steam pressure to draw air out of the system.  on page 250 TLAOSH, Dan states "The steam usually came from an engine...".  Obviously, I am not using a steam engine to create steam (that would be cool though, huh?), so I would need to tap into the main (or maybe even the header?) for a steam source to power the exhauster.  Does anyone know the best location for and how to plumb this steam supply?

There are small holes with small diameter pipe (cut flush with the floor) next to each of my radiators indicating what may have been "The Paul System".  However, there is also a Trane air eliminator (see page 257, figure 37, in TLAOSH) in my basement connected to most of these small diameter galvanized pipes, so I suppose it was the Trane vacuum system and not the Paul.  It was changed decades ago (I'm sure longgg before I was born).

Thank you,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.