Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How close to boiler to insulate pipes?

Options
I've noticed that a lot of new boiler installations don't have pipe insulation "close" to the boiler, while of course old boilers may have even had asbestos plastered up to and on the boiler itself.  Many seem to now have insulation on the secondary/system loops, but often not on the near boiler or primary loop piping.

I was wondering if there was a general rule or best practice of how close one should install typical fiberglass pipe insulation to the boiler?

Thanks,

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    in my humble...

opinion, if it's hot, insulate it -- unless it's just too darn complicated to get the insulation around!  Then it's not worth the effort...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    Options
    That's what I was thinking....

*laugh*

I was thinking along the same lines, although wondered if the poly/paper based jacket on the fiberglass insulation was a combustion hazard if too close to the boiler, flue, etc and perhaps that was why I didn't see it installed "close" to the boiler these days  *shrug*

Thanks,

Al

• The casing usually is flammable..

so you do have to be careful when insulating near the boiler.  The shell used around old asbestos is also usually flammable too.

Boilerpro

This discussion has been closed.