Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ready Strip safe for Cast Iron Steam Radiators ?

SteamHeat
SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
Is it safe to use Ready Strip or a similar stripping compound on cast iron steam radiators ?

Can radiators be used safely with no paint left on them ?

I have 6 cast iron radiators that were painted about 2 years ago by a handyman working for the previous homeowner. I think the paint is either latex or acrylic. It is the same as the paint on the walls.

The radiators had leaking vent valves and previously never got more than mildly warm. I replaced the leaking vents and now they get to temperature but release a horrible burning odor I believe is the paint burning.

I do not want to remove them to sand blast or power wash. I figure a "safe" stripping agent should be able to get off this one or two coats of wall paint.

Does anyone know if this will harm the radiator ?

If it strips off all the paint by some miracle, can the radiator be used unpainted ?

Thanks for all help.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Don't see why not...

Never, in a million years, would I have believed that I would be replying to a question by Steamhead!

As to using the radiators unpainted, I can't think of any reason not to, other than pure esthetics.  The emissivity of the bare cast iron will be much the same as most paints (except those metallic ones!), so there shouldn't be a problem with that.  And cast iron doesn't rust particularly rapidly -- although it does a little, so that might be a possible drawback.

Most strippers these days -- at least the 'environmentally friendly' ones -- are pretty benign, on the whole.  So I also don't see why they would be a problem.  I have used them on other machinery (not, so far, a radiator!) without any bad results on the cast iron.

How long, though, have you run the radiators?  I repainted a few last year with an interior acrylic paint (having scraped and wire brushed) and I'll grant that they did smell the first couple of times they came up to temperature, but after that it's gone away.  Of course, that was a top quality acrylic; I imagine some latex paints particularly might really stink up the joint...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamHeat
    Ready Strip safe for Cast Iron Steam Radiators ?

Sorry to disappoint but the username is not who you are thinking of.

The radiators have probably been run about 8 times so far.

How many times do you think I should wait to see if the odor goes away?

If I do strip them and they start to rust, are any of the paints talked about in the forums for painting radiators low odor for both application and operation.

This isn't just a comfort thing. I feel my chest tighten like asthma.

Thanks for your help.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Paint and radiators

Most high quality, low or no VOC paints will work OK, provided the surface is clean (that is, not greasy and no flaking or loose rust).  They won't last as long, or adhere as tightly (particularly to problem surfaces) as some of the specific metal enamels will -- but those tend to have fume problems.  The best I can suggest for you is to strip the radiators, clean them thoroughly, use a top-quality primer (there are several brands on the market; a good paint store will be able to recommend which primer should be used for which finish coat)(Paint Store.  Don't count on a big box or hardware store for advice!  You can also check the manufacturer's own web site).  Let the primer dry as recommended and then put on the finish coat.  I would note that these paints aren't cheap, but they are worth what you pay for them.

Don't ignore a feeling of respiratory distress.  If you've heated those things up that many times, there may well be a problem and there's no sense in making things difficult for yourself or anyone else.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamHeat
    I And My Lungs Thank You.

Thank you for the advice.

I hope I can find a low odor primer after I do the stripping.
This discussion has been closed.