Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to gas conversion lower flue temp problems?

Options
D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,852
My mother's house has a fairly new Buderus G-115/21, Riello 40F3, Roth tank, insulated SS 18ft external chimney liner (double layered i believe). time to time she indicates she's interested in converting to gas. Though I gather that oil is currently more costly per btu, and seems harder to set up than gas, I tend to discourage her on that. There would be costs involved with tank removal, new burner, ensuring that the Gas Co. new line install was done as per Wall-quality spec. One concern would be the lower flue temperature. Currently with oil we achieve about 350-375 gross stack temp which should be enough to avoid the SS liner corrosion. But with gas and likely a new Riello 40G120 burner what flue temps are likely? Seems like we'd have to up the firing rate, remove baffles, etc. or put a narrower flue liner than the current 5".

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    There is a possibility

that you will run at lower flue gas temps with the Riello gas burner, it depends on who does the conversion. I would suggest getting in touch with Buderus factory folks and get there take on what you are looking to do. They can give you some testing facts that they have conducted
This discussion has been closed.