Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving a steam radiator

I am new to steam.  A customer would like to move a free standing steam radiator from the corner of an inside wall to the neighboring outside wall and recess it under a window.  The total distance is about 12 inches.  Is it ok to use the same riser stubbing up thru the floor and radiator valve and just install a nipple going into the wall, an elbow and another nipple into the new recessed radiator without worrying about water hammer if elbow and nipple are both pitched? Is it better to remove the existing valve, install elbow, then nipple into wall, another elbow and nipple into new radiator valve?  Or, should I recommend opening up the floor and relocating riser below the floor and popping up out of floor at the proposed location with a new valve?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    Shouldn't be a problem

provided the new nipples and all are big enough, and properly pitched.  That will be very important; if in doubt, steeper is better!  I personally would remove the existing valve from the riser and keep it located next to the radiator, or remove it entirely and put a new one on next to the radiator; I try not to have any piping following the valve before the radiator.  However, I suppose that if the old one was put on by a gorilla and you can't get it off...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2009
    Zig-Zag

I've done stuff like this and it's been fine.  I had two missing radiators in my house and replaced them with salvaged units that were obviously different shapes and connection heights than what was original to the house.  Because one of the replacements was taller than the original, I had to locate it differently to avoid a window.  I put together elbows and nipples to create the needed horizontal and vertical offsets.  They're not works of art but they are mostly hidden behind furniture.  They work well. 

If you are going to use the original supply valve, you're going to need to get the spud out of the radiator in one piece.  I wish you well.  (Get a replacement valve on-hand just in case..)
This discussion has been closed.