Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vent damper failed

Options
johnnyge
johnnyge Member Posts: 86
Today the vent damper of my boiler closed a few times and it didnt want to open when the thermostat called for heat.

My boiler is a Newyorker CSG-A 50 model. My first suspicion was that the chimney was plug or it was a backdraft, but the chimmey is ok. I cleaned the damper of little dust and cleaned the blocked damper switch localed on the hood of the boiler. After that it is operation ok.

My concern is that this may be a sign that something need to be replaced. I don't know if the motor that operate the damper is about to go bad or the blocked damper switch needs to be replaced. My boiler is about 7 years old and this is the first time that this has hapened. If someone is familiar with this type of steam boiler I will like to know what part is more likely to fail ? so i can get spare part for it because I will hate for my boiler to fail on the coldest night of the season.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Make sure the damper

blade is not binding on anything. The cleaning you did may have removed some corrosion that will typically accumulate on the blades. There is nothing else to worry about that would cause a failure as far as the damper goes. If your boiler is seven years old have you had anyone come and do some preventative maintenance? If not it is a good time to do that, also ask them to do a combustion analysis while they are at it.

Vent dampers like everything else mechanical that have been sitting all summer may be a little fussy at first call for heat.

There is also the possibility that the two end switches in the damper are not closing every time the damper opens. Does the damper at least open even though the boiler did not come on?
  • Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    Options
    My damper is often "slow" early in the season too

I've noticed that my flue damper also is sometimes "slow" early in the season and sometimes binds a little bit, but then loosens up.

I wonder if there is any lubrication or cleaning of the servo motor that should be performed annually?

Thanks,

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• johnnyge
    Options
    vent damper

I did notice that the damper was opening and closing very slow, giving the feeling that is going to be bad and stop an any time. This is the first time that this issue came up as I explain on my original posting. The rest of the boiler was working ok as it should be so when the damper open send the signal for ignition. I worked ok all night but the damper still opening very slow. Is there anything to do with the motor? The pipe inside the damper looks like new and there is no sign of rust.

Thank you
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    recall?

Tjerlund recalled some of their vent dampers. Go into their site with your model# to see if yours is part of the recall.

This is an unsafe condition. Fix it at once or shut down the boiler until it can be replaced.

Install a low level CO monitor in the home ASAP.

Hearthman
  • I wouldn`t be so quick to blame TJ,,,

Perhaps I looked-at the wrong model,,, but are these not Effikal?

At any rate,,, Bob is right on getting it repaired ASAP!!
  • johnnyge
    Options
    manufacturer response

I email the manufacturer and this is their response""The vent damper will tend to open slowly.  This is normal.  As far as typical replacement parts, you should contact your heating contractor for his advice.".

As far the damper goes still working for now, I was hoping for the manufacturer to give me a suggestion on what component to replace knowing that the boiler is 7 years old.

Also thank you for the advise of getting a CO detector. I do have one in each floor of the house plus several smoke detectors.
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    It is still unclear -

on  the make and model of the damper. There have been recalls for at least one brand - check with your local AHJ. Regardless - the damper is a safety device as well as a small help towards efficiency and minimizing stack losses - best to buy a new one first  and determine the how and why later.
This discussion has been closed.