Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can't light my gas boiler.

Options
Meta
Meta Member Posts: 1
I've just closed on my home Tuesday and have been freezing ever since.  I have a Utica HGB175HD Sr #BP12396. My husband can't figure out how to light it. The hot water heater is working fine, it's the gas boiler. Please help? Oh, and he bled the valves already (hopefully that is the correct terminology).

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Do either of you ...

... know if your boiler has a pilot light? Some boilers do, and some do not. Oil ones generally have a sparker (sort of like a spark plug in a gasoline engine). Gas ones have a pilot light or a sparker or a hot "wire" .

If it has a pilot light, it can be tricky to light it the first time you try it. Sometimes you have to hold a button depressed while you hold a match under the pilot to heat up a thermocouple. Sometimes you just old the match to heat it up before turning on the gas. But if this is your first season with that boiler, it is probably better to get a professional in to check over the boiler and show you how to light the pilot. Who knows in what condition the former owner left it?
  • Wayne Heid
    Wayne Heid Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Could it be an MGB175?

If your boiler is a Utica MGB175HD it has a standing pilot (vs an electronic ignition). Here is a link to the Installation, Operation & Maintenance manual. See page 17 for standing pilot lighting instructions.

http://www.ecrinternational.com/secure/upload/document/1798.pdf

Please follow the instructions carefully. If you're the least bit unsure of what you're doing call a professional.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Meta, hopefully by now the boiler

is up and running. If it has a pilot which requires lighting have your husband call me at 401-437-0557 and I will walk him through the lighting procedure.

A note of caution boilers do not typically need to be bled if they have already been installed and started they pretty much maintain pressure in the boiler and bleeding is not necessary. Bleeding changes the water in the boiler and this is not a good thing for the boiler as the new fresh city water has many minerals and a different PH than existing water in the boiler.

Just give me a call, there is no charge for my services.
This discussion has been closed.