Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas water heater prob.

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
Got a call about a water heater that would not fire up. Nat. Gas had been turned off by gas co.... then turned back on after they payed the bill.

The heater is a std. 35k btu atmosheric set up, nat vent..... pilot will light, stay lit but will not fire. Changed out the gas valve and the t-couple.... stiil have no fire... Gas/ range burner  fire up, but the gas dryer also will not fire. I will check pressures in the AM....

Sounds like a meter issue to me but... ???

ty,kpc

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Regulator, air, water?

Gas pressure regulator (just before the meter) often seem to go bad.

Years ago I read the NYC plumbing code book for sometime in the 1800s. It even told how to put in the gas pipes for the gas lights. And how to make illuminating gas from gasoline because not everyone had gas available. Anyhow, if you get air in the gas, the lights can go out for a moment (and of course do not come back on), or worse. Likewise, if the slope on the gas lines is not right, water can collect and the gas has to bubble past the water trap (that should not be there). So you might check these things. None of this is from my direct experience (except gas pressure regulator failures).
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    edited September 2009
    Regulator @ the meter

Had this once, similar situation.  Pressure will most like show to be fine until the burner from an appliance draws.  Check the regulator @ the meter, you could also check the house regulator (2PSI) if you have one.

That sound (uuuummmph!) the regulator makes when you restore flow/pressure through the meter is the regulators diaphragm trying not to get sucked into the house side.

Often this sudden increase can cause that diaphragm to "stick".  Check that, although you might not be allowed to touch it.
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Hmmm KCOPP what did you find?

A lot of interesting possibilities offered here, but what did you find when you arrived?
  • kcopp
    feel dumb... but

I learned something. I did not realize that a orifice that big could clog up....
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I hate to sound dumb, but

what orifice? The one in the regulator? Or somewhere else?
  • kcopp
    edited September 2009
    burner

Looked as if  there was muddy water reside plugging up the burner orifice.... The condensation over the week must have plugged it. Never witnessed that before.

Pressure was 8 " wc... no regulator for the house...low pressure.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Sounds like they might have had

some flooding, if so any equipment which was under water must be replaced for safety reasons.
  • kcopp
    you would think....

but no... never any flooding.  ty,kpc
This discussion has been closed.