Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carlin G3B conversion burner

Options
Frenchie
Frenchie Member Posts: 113
Any thoughts or experiences with these burners? I see they are a burner that premixes the gas and air before it goes into the "blast" tube. Most others are not premixed. What are the benefits of each design? Are these more sensitive to proper combustion setup or anything like that? 

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    W-M Ultra premix too

In the W-M Ultra, they are premixed before they enter the burner-heat-exchanger. They claim this is advantageous. I think they have to do it because it is a modulating burner, and the way they keep the mixture correct is to have the gas injector part of the valve balanced so that with no air flow, no gas comes out, and the more air flow, the more gas you get, keeping the mixture constant. They control the blower speed to modulate the boiler and the gas takes care of itself that way. Otherwise, it would take a computer to compute how much gas to deliver based on the actual blower speed, that would probably require a tachometer generator on the blower motor -- too complex.
  • Nice try JD,,

However,, I wouldn`t compare a packaged modcon unit,  to a conversion burner!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I have installed

many G3B conversion burners from Carlin. The installation should be done by a professional with experience on installing conversion burners. All conversion burners use a premix before firing including the Carlin EZ and The Midco EC200 and 300 which are all good burners.
This discussion has been closed.