Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lp or oil

md
md Member Posts: 24
i need help picking a boiler for my parents home,, the company i work for has buderus, burnham,, new yorker and dynatherm,,,, heat loss for home is 57000 btu, all copper  baseboard, home has low amount of insulation it heats fast but looses fast,  crawspace is 4 foot, 15 foot high cathedral ceilings,,,cement block walls with 3/4 styrafoam insul only.. current oil fired boiler is out side home in  a shed housing the well and tank.50 year old underground tank is 9 feet from well, and the delaware river floods boiler room four feet deep sometimes.  hot water is pumped under ground to home  20 feet away,,copper pipes are not insulatred they buried them in plastic pipe 40 years ago,,, so we must install a new boiler in a spare room in home, it has to be direct vented out side of home, there is a four foot roof overhang on either side to contend with also,,,, i wanted to look into a buring a lp tank,and install a buderus ga124 mid eff boiler, with indirect, logamatic and constant cir,,, but not sure,,,, we are  also cirt, for buderus blue flame but then we are back to buring another oil tank, so far we still can in eastern pa but some insurance compaines have asked for tank removal from some home owners, any suggestions or questions would be great thanks mdh

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,144
    And I thought

the building I take care of was a nightmare...

The LP vs. oil question is at least partly one of cost.  I have no idea what your prices are like, but up my way LP is not cheap, to put it mildly.

The other part of the question is the oil tank, if you were to have one.  Is there no place you could put a nice 375 or so gallon above ground oil tank?  Should give that some thought.  Granted that they aren't pretty, but surely... somewhere... !

The one you have in the ground now doesn't owe you anything.  Even if it isn't leaking now, it may someday -- and drinking water with a subtle taste of diesel just isn't much fun.  Never mind the cost of cleaning it up.  Quite right to want to get it out of there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • targetman
    targetman Member Posts: 105
    electric

How are the electric rates?
This discussion has been closed.