Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure testing older gas pipes

Kevin Blair
Kevin Blair Member Posts: 62
I want to make sure I have done this correctly.

Background info: we have an older home with a solid brick fireplace mantel. The fireplace clearly once held a gas insert of some sort that has long since been removed.

The gas pipe is still there, but has been disconnected in the basement.

We have found a gas stove ( a Bayfield GDS25 from Napoleon) that will fit nicely into the opening and that the sales person tells me will work fine in terms of clearances to combustibles for our situation.  The fireplace is on an outer wall and we will direct vent it through the back of the fireplace.

I called the gas company and they told me that the existing pipes are fine as long they pass a pressure test. I have looked up how to do a pressure test and have done it.

Now I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The question:

To pressure test the existing pipes I connected a pressure gauge to the pipe outlet at the fireplace.

To the other end (in the basement) I connected my air compressor. I put 30psi into the pipe. The gauge at the compressor reads 30psi. The gauge at the fireplace reads 30psi.

I have left the pressure on for over 2 hours and there has been no movement in either gauge (both read 30psi)...AM I GOOD TO GO??

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I would ask the gas co. or the inspector.

Where I live, they had to pressurize the gas line to 15 psi and it had to hold it for 24 hours. Perhaps they could lose a pound, but not much more. Mine lost something like 9 pounds over the weekend, so they had to fix it.
  • Kevin Blair
    Pipe Pressure Test

Thanks!

The instructions I found said a minimum of 10 psi for 15 minutes. The instructions were for preparing for an inspection.

I can certainly leave the pressure on for 24 hours or more. I am close to 3 hours w/o the slightest change in pressure.

The gas company told me they would come to check a leak and will not check a disconnected pipe. So I don't think they can help until I have everything installed, not sure about an inspector.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Kevin you are

fine if the pipe held that much pressure it is all set. The gas pressure to the system is only roughly 6 to 7 inches water column about a 1/4 of a pound.

The gas company will not test disconnected pipes and will only come to investigate a leak.

Once permits are pulled and the pipes are connected then your inspector will come and check it and determine if any further tests are required.
  • Kevin Blair
    Thanks

That's what I was hoping top hear. A few others have said the same thing to me. I actually left the pressure on for 24 hours and both gauges held at 30psi. I will next reconnect the pipe to the gas line. After that I can get the stove and start cutting holes in the wall ;o)
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    You did cut off the air compressor tank...

... from the gas line, right? Otherwise the volume of the tank would make the leakage less obvious (if there is any).
This discussion has been closed.