Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How much torque to apply to spud tailpiece? (GN)

Options
TonyBal_2
TonyBal_2 Member Posts: 54
I hestitate to ask this but is there a rule for how much torque/muscle to aply when putting the traps back on the tailpiece? (pic). I'm doing this on both new and old traps/tailpieces/spuds. I don't want to "overtighten" and damage something?

Also, when tighteng a trap or valve clockwise, it would seem that it is not important to hold the 1/2" pipe steady as it itself is also tightening?

I'm still plugging away with some progress.

thx

GN Homeowner

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Use some anti-seize

on the threads before you screw on the nut. That will make it easier to tighten without overtorqueing it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    a union

like that shouldn't take all that much torque to stop it from leaking or generally being a nuisance. As Steamhead says, some anti-seize on the threads will make life much easier. Further, the mating faces of the union must be clean and smooth (but wipe -- don't file or sand!!!). You shouldn't need to exert enough torque to get the half inch pipe to turn...

Remember that the seal is on the faces of the union; all the nut and threads do is hold it together.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.