Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lally columns

Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
In my area lally columns with the adjustable screw end are allowed but the adjustable end must be down and poured into the floor pour so it can't be tampered with later. I don't see how you can get an exact "shim free fit" with a none adjustable column.

Yes it should be on a footing.

Some of these codes are complete follicies. A 3" lally column pipe filled with unreinforced concrete wont do much for added support if the steel reaches a high enough temperature to cause its failure.

Concrete has its temperature limitations also. You may as well fill the 3" column with gravel. About the only thing the concrete may do is absorb some of the heat for a short period of time, but do to the trapped moisture in concrete when it turns to steam it explodes.

As far as the heat from fire theory. If your basement got that hot in a fire. I think the least of your worries would be a failed lolly column, because there would be nothing left to hold up.

911 was a different animal, tons of jet fuel fueled that fire. That was a fuel source for the fire that is not usually available with in a structure.

Gordy

Comments

• jeanRR
    jeanRR Member Posts: 37
    Temporary versus permanent lally column (support beam)

Hi,

One of the lally columns in my basement fell when my waterpoofing contractor was demolishing my basement apartment in preparation for the waterproofing work. The lally columns are all from when the house was built 60 years ago. The one that fell is one of two columns supporting a large wooden beam. The contractor replaced the fallen column with a temporary telescoping post, attaching it to the beam with the top plate only. The other plate was lying on a windowsill. I found an article online that says you should not use temporary columns for permanent use. Also, that a column should be placed in poured cement (or on a pier[?] -- Sanitred was used to waterproof the floor) to prevent lateral movement. The contractor insists the column is the permanent type. There is no label on the column but it is obviously the telescoping type with a large screw holding it together. Will this column hold up in case of, heaven forbid, ground movement or some other problem? Thanks very much for listening.
  • rt_3
    rt_3 Member Posts: 7
    lally collums

NO!!! Don't use it. It's only used for a temporary fix. In my area, the code requires that the post be the solid type. In other words a pipe filled with cement. The reason is that if there should be a fire, the telescoping one like you have would possibly collaps because of the heat whereas the solid post would not. They are basically a heavy gage of sheetmental. Think back to 911. Heat is what took those buildings down. Good luck

rt
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

They are allowed here, but all movable parts must be welded solid. On a footing, as well. All columns have a weight rating...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Check local requirementa

Check with your local juridiction. It looks like they are acceptable in the national code book. They must have a rust inhibiting paint inside & out, be secured from lateral movement at the bottom, shall not be less than 3 inches in diameter. (Section 407)
  • jeanRR
    jeanRR Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the help

Thanks one and all for the helpful info. I cannot tell you how much I love this website and appreciate the many caring responses I have received over the past several months on various topics. What a nice bunch of guys you are!

JRR
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,147
    In case

you are still reading -- in my area the AHJ does allow them in certain cases -- the basement of the building I supervise being one. Provided they are firmly anchored top and bottom, the adjusting screw can be left free to turn, and in my case is, as the building shifts slightly with time, and being able to adjust those things is real handy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.