Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"Summerize\" Steam Heat system?

Jamie Hall
Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,149
is slightly elusive! However... the system I maintain is just left for the summer. And has been left for the summer for the last 80 years or so. Doesn't seem to cause any problems.

The rusty water you get from draining it periodically (which you should do, by the way -- although the opinions as to what is a good interval vary all over the map) is quite normal.
Br. Jamie, osb
Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England

Comments

• CRossi
    CRossi Member Posts: 2
    \"Summerize\" steam heat system?

I have an old steam heat system (single pipe). Should I do anything to it while it is off for the summer? I'd like to just turn off the pilot light but should I drain out the water of the boiler? When I drain some water from it periodically it runs filthy/rusty for a few seconds and then it clears up. Is this normal or will it really rust up the system over the summer. What's the "normal" thing to do? Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!
  • CRossi
    CRossi Member Posts: 2
    thanks

Thank you so much for the advice. Puts my mind at ease. It's not very often when doing nothing is the right thing to do! I could do nothing very well. Thanks again.
  • Jamie is right,

The worst thing you could do, is drain-it and leave empty.
    If the season is done, drain it out, then refill to the water level and that should be it.
    After the summer, before firing, drain-it again, refill, check the PH and you should be good to go.

Dave
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    If draining and refilling.....

make sure to fire it up till it just steams to drive out dissolved air in the fresh water. :)

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.