Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe question

Options
EricAune
EricAune Member Posts: 432
Most likely related to the something as simple as distribution and cost of shipping.

Think of it like this: Somewhere on the east coast they put up a plastics manufacturing plant, it makes pvc piping and related goods. Same happens somewhere near the beautiful west coastal area (possibly Canada) but they like the black pipe cause those other guys are making the white stuff.

If your in Nevada, your going to buy from the west side because of shipping, plain & simple. Besides, you want your guys to install faster so you can get that caddy sooner!

Long story for a likely answer.....shipping vs manufacturing

Peace

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=589&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Options
    pipe question

Now, God forbid there should ever be a question not related to heating on this site, but I'll go out on a limb.It has to do with DWV pipes. Why on the east coast of the U.S. is all the plastic DWV piping PVC and on the west coast all ABS? I've heard plenty of answers and a lot of BS. What is the real answer?
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    Pollution

There are states that feel PVC leeches chemicals continually into the environment. States like California feel ABS does not do this. Some contractors choose one or the other due to weight, flexibilty etc.

Rich
  • Pete K
    Pete K Member Posts: 1
    Options
    ABS vs PVC

I was told many years ago; the plastics industry came up with the idea to make the Mississippi River the division line. PVC DWV East and ABS DWV West.
    It must be true. Our daughter + family live in MN, in a house on the Minneapolis side of the river with ABS, upgraded plumbing system. This past April, their local LOWE'S displayed both for sale.
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    pvc -abs

I am in the Hudson Valley NY area, and we have both. Most supply houses stock a full line of PVC & ABS - which really sucks for them I would say. Most contractors I know stick with one or the other, but we see a lot more ABS than pvc. The exception is homeowners as HD carries pvc only. Some builders request pvc because it's more dense and so a little bit quieter.
    I don't think I answered the question, but my experience is the opposite of what is posted above.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    I'm in....

Rochester, NY. We primarily use PVC pipe and fittings here.

Did a job a few years back in Syracuse (80 miles away) and there, ABS was the norm.

Just regional I guess.

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    Options
    In my part of

Ontario Canada, things are mostly ABS but suppliers are stocking both. CPVC has the edge for our fire regs, as opposed to MJ.
    Some PVC turns me-off over the priming then gluing hassle & there seems to be so many kinds of glue!

Dave
This discussion has been closed.