Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vanishing profession?

What I’ve seen is that those that are truly good at the trade move in to commercial / industrial work. That’s where the money is. This leaves fewer experienced craftsmen in the residential market.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    vanishing profession?

is there really a shortage of competent steam pros out there. "need help with my steam system" asks if there are any pros in western new york. is there a shortage, or is it just an unwillingness to advertize on this site? i know that there is an exam of sorts, to verify some degree of competency in the listees here, but can it be so arduous?

in these times that try mens pocketbooks, there will be many home owners, and building owners; who will just want to repair what they have, instead of replacement. success with repair demands the finding of a real pro. how does one find that pro, if he does not advertise somewhere like here? some say that in tough times, the last thing you want to do without is your advertising, just like the fisherman who uses no hook [because of the expense]--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,149
    good question...

I have a suspicion that it's a combination of two things -- first that there are guys out there who are really good at steam, but who have either never encountered this site or who, for one reason or another, choose not to list themselves on it.

but...

That there are, in fact, rather few really good steam guys. You would think that in my area -- western New England -- there would be some. Well, not really; not close enough to be of real help in my corner of the woods. For that matter, when it really comes down to it, there are astonishingly few really good plumbers out there these days! Or electricians... or even carpenters who can do restoration!

Bottom line? These trades have been marginalised in the last 30 years or so, and young people have been pushed off into college or finance or what have you. I personally have the deepest respect for a really good craftsman in any trade. At least around here, I am in a rather small and rapidly aging minority...

But if there are guys out there who haven't advertised, they should!!!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Hey Jamie

Where ya located? i'm in Southwick Mass. and i love steam, if i can be of any help let me know

David
    aka The original Dr Pepper
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,399
    from what i have seen...............

It is the especially RARE individual (forget about a company) that has "the right stuff"....the knowledge, the real world experience, the stubborness, the fire for the steam...then there is the "professionalism" factor. I know quite a few fellows + ladies who are at the top of their field, but do not know how to market themselves and refuse to take any advice. If it helps you...I vacation in the Finger lakes in early july...I'd be happy to fit in a consult in between fishing,antiquing, and water-skiiing. Mad dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    there are ALOT of guys that \"get by\"

But a rare few that really know the steam and can perfect it. Mad dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    you nailed it too: the last 30 years.........

The seeds of any-one-can-be-a-plumber/heating guy began....copper and soldering was well under way and PVC was here to stay. With this...craftsmanship...in the general population of tradesmen WENT. I have a saying: "the true test of a pipe tradesmen is screw pipe...every other part of the trade can be fudged. Mad dog

• Jamie Hall
    Southwick's

not that far -- I'll keep you in mind. Maybe we could help each other -- who knows?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jamie Hall
    you'd be welcome

to stop in and say hi, Mad Dog -- anytime! The old steamer is working just fine -- I wasn't looking for help for myself, just commenting -- it's a Hoffmann system, Weil/McClain boiler using the steam drum from an old HB Smith boiler as the header.

Historic register house -- if you're into antiques, we have a few!
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    3 to 1 replacement plan..

For each 3 people leaving the trades (A:: of them) there is one person coming in to the ranks...

And of that 1, who they get as a mentor is a crapshoot.

As Mad dog sez, "The craftsman has left the building"

Get prepared for a labor shortage...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    how about some pix?

as you know, we all here love seeing the older systems, so how about some pix of your "hybrid system".--nbc
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    THOSE STEAM DRUMS ARE THE BEST.

sears , roebuck homart had residential boilers with small steam drums. there are still a few arond my area. those boilers last forever
  • bb_11
    bb_11 Member Posts: 39
    The Bean

has been saying this for years.

Less and less people are entering the trades. So, as people leave the trades for whatever reason there are less people to do the work. Simple law of supply and demand. Less labor available means that the consumer will pay more.

It's sad that the perception is that the trades are not a good career choice.

So for those of you left, upgrade your skills, and continue to learn to make you more valuable to your customers.

bb
  • Mad Dog_2
    I keep hearing this too, but I think the \"legs\" are taken out

of the argument with the G.C.s that are doing our work, side-jobbers, Uncle Gus who's a Firemen during the day. To compound this, EVERYONE'S a "plumber" today with everything made so "easy" ...can-o-glue and a pipe crimper Just in my county, Plumbing license applications are few and far between. That being said, We must as BB said embrace the specialties and state-of-the art to survive. Mad Dog

• Hope you don't mind I added a bit mad dog

It is especially RARE to find an individual (forget about the company names) having "all the right stuff"....The knowledge to comprehend the multitude of systems applied in the mechanical sector. The real world experience and understanding of how all the systems should work together in perfect harmony. The stubbornness to settle for nothing less than the best a mechanical system can deliver. This entity between the drawing board and the finished product is what separates a mediocre project from a great project. These entities are still alive and well today. The entity is the Master Craftsman residing in us. Are you in? Step up to the plate today.
  • Chris M
    Chris M Member Posts: 7
    The Trade

From reading this thread, it sounds like the trades will become more attractive for both high schoolers and those simply interested in the trade to get into it. How does one who's in his 40's get into the trade?
  • I saw a truck

yesterday at the home depot. And I have seen alot of trucks with mixed trades on but this guys truck said...Landscaping. Plumbing.Electricle. I was amazed it didnt say diaper service.

But then on the other hand I saw a job the other day with a peerless pinnacle piped right through. I thought just the shear cost of this modulating equipment would keep out the hacks... but it hasnt yet.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Sometimes I think

the steam trade actually vanished 20 years ago. Its only recently that we've noticed this as steam systems have suffered widespread indignities of poorly piped boilers, etc. As fuel prices skyrocketed, an epidemic of poor installations has ensued.

May I be so bold to say that Dan's site and the books has actually reversed the trend as far as steam goes. I'm impressed with how many of my clients have been to this site, with a few having Dan's books in hand. And I recommend them for those who don't.

I take a little time to educate the homeowner on the particular variant of steam heating they have and what it needs. Its fun to see a homeowner go from disgruntled to enthusiastic about their heating system. It really happens.

If we keep this up it seems likely that steam heating will remain a small but stable subset of heating technology.

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.