Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crude language (Dan H.)

Options
2»

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,527
    Options
    I'm asking again,

and nicely. Please stop.
    Retired and loving it.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

just so you know i started my reply before your post at 9:05 Dan --it does take me a long time to type and have it in a civil manner by the time it went up yours was there
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Okay, thanks.

Peace.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    I find that odd

that you would be so sensitive to crude. I attended one of your seminars a couple years ago; at which you told the "joke" about left and right handed wiping. It painted a picture in my minds eye that has caused me to seek comfort in therapy and medications, and I have not gotten over it. Talk about crude!
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    A explanation:

I learned that people such as yourself are upset by stories about handicap toilets, so I stopped telling that one. That is also why I'm asking people who post on the Wall not to curse, or use crude, nasty language toward each other. I learned and now I'm asking others to learn as well.

We get more done when people respect each other. Kindness works here.

My apologies for the damage caused to you by my seminar story.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,956
    Options
    my take on it...........

I like to cuss and swear when I feel like it too...around the guys, o make a point with a knucklehead who "listens" better when you talk to him in his language, but NEVER around women, children or the general public (The Wall included)...not that I haven't slipped occassionally. The problem is that these days it has taken hold like a cancer ...on tv, movies, and of course in our troubled youth and adults too. Bottom line...you can get ticked at dan all u want, but it is HIS living room here and the rules of the house should be respected. Last, where else are u gonna find a place....a truly unique one of a kind place like this on the web???? You won't. ...its more special than u realize gentlemen. Mad dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Erhardt_4
    Jim Erhardt_4 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The years have mellowed us, Bill...

...and I like it this way! Fond memories nonetheless, thanks for reminding me of them.
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    My two cents

This site has always been open to the public.

I would be embarrassed if a potential customer googled my name, and finds me cursing on a message board. Sure I am just as guilty as the next guy for letting it fly once in a while, however if I were in Dan's shoes I would have done the same thing.

He owns the site, and it is up to him to evolve it into what he wants, and takes the risk that some of us won't like it and move on. I for one agree with it, because in my view now as I am getting a little more mature I understand that cursing is a sign of an admission of weakness of position during an argument.

I save the cursing for when I jam my fingers wrenching, EDIT- (complaining about a deadbeat builder who won't pay his invoices, yet somehow can afford to go golfing), the basketball court, and fishing....

Cosmo
  • Baltimore/Maine Doug_9
    Options
    My most recent experience with cursing

has been with the rehab of the row home next to mine. First thing in the morning the GC and subs/employees gather to hold a contest to see how many ways to use the word. Then they start the generator on the sidewalk, sometimes pointing it into the building. Since the generator and compressor are now making noise, they have to shout the curses louder to be heard.

All day this goes on. The masons drink and towards the end of the day every other word is the word - used as a noun, adverb, adjective, verb etc. One guy exhibits all the symptoms of a crack habit. On top of this is the radio. Since the radio adds to the noise from the generator and compressor, they have to shout curses even louder.

Did I mention the nails and trash and cement dust and brick dust? At least that stuff does not curse but I mutter some things since the contractors and subs/employees never clean up.

My Granddaughter has been learning some interesting new words and my son the attorney is not happy about it. I am thinking of writing an article for the paper about the experience.

We have decided to sell and move out of the city and live in a single family home. The only contractors I will have to listen to will be those I invite into my house.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    yes

It's kinda like smoking, if you're a smoker, you have not much of a clue how some people react to the smokey smell.

I actually started adding a sentence in my opening speal in my estimates that "we are respectful to you and your household, our employees are professisonaly clothed at all times, we are non-smoking, and there will be no foul language. "

we are very busy.

gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gene_5
    Gene_5 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Perhaps if you help them move the generator closer to the building they will stop swearing ;)

perhaps they are suffering from CO poisoning??

you could call the town and say you think that because they start the generator on the sidewalk, sometimes pointing it into the building you believe they have brain damage and the site needs to be inspected and their health checked out.

This discussion has been closed.