Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ID glycol type?

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I am looking for a testing agency to tell me if a system has ethyl or propyl type glycol. I posted this before but did not flag it and now need to know...a ton of it leaked out a driveway leak and did not kill the lawn if that says anything...

Thanks, Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• HEY TIM!

Have`nt seen you in awhile, hope things are going OK!
    Is there a poison control center in this area?, perhaps they could help.
    This from a Canadian of course ;-)

Dave
  • Timco

Oh, I'm here man! Raining for weeks now so not much fly fishing...

I was considering using my wife's lab and taking the solution to it's freezing point to see where it freezes. My tester tells me it's freeze point but I don't know which scale to use. (sight type tester, forgot name) Would poison control tell you if it is poisonous or not? I would really like to just send it to a lab...

Tim
  • OK Tim,

I thought you were looking into the poisonous issue.
    I`m not sure how to tell which is which myself, but poison is poison and a lab will tell you that.
    Sorry I couldn`t be of more help.

Too bad about the fishin!

BTW-What ever became of your big move?

Dave
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    Dow or Nobel

have labs to test that. What about the U of U ?

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

Tim-
    You might call Rhomar.

http://www.rhomarwater.com

I called them last year with some questions on boiler water and they were very helpful. They have water testing services and could probably test it for you or tell you how it needs to be tested.

- Rod
  • Rhomar Mike
    Rhomar Mike Member Posts: 11
    glycol test

see our website www.rhomarwater.com printout the water analysis test form, tell us what to test for and mail it with a "clean "water bottle full of the fluid( approx 1 pt). I think the lab charges about $20.00 for the test.
  • Andy Stern
    Andy Stern Member Posts: 10

I may be wrong on this issue, but I think ethylene gycol is the nasty one and propylene gycol is actually the biologically friendly one. If ingested, the ethylene can do liver damage at lower concentrations. Both have a very high basic oxygen demand (BOD) so environmentally the problem would be if it go into a stream. It could strip the stream of oxygen and kill aquatics. If it got into a sewer, it could show up as a slug in the treatmnt plant and kill the "bugs". However, they both "burn out" faily quickly in the presence of organics (like a lawn)and I'd oubt if there would be any residual concerns after a few days in this weather.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    tester

Hey Tim, I believe they make a tester that can tell you which style of glycol you have by the s.g. of the fluid, I know McmasterCarr sells different kinds of Refractometers check out their website, if you use a Water Treatment Vendor or know someone that does in a commericial building their Treatment Vendor would be able to check it out for you, if you are close to Manhattan NYC I can have my Vendor check it out for you.
  • Timco

Thanks for the suggestions. I will make a few calls but will likely send it to Rhomar to git r' done. I am in SLC, UT where it has rained for weeks. No sprinklers for weeks and mushrooms in the lawn...

Tim
  • Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Mushrooms

Better play it safe and send those mushrooms to me for evaluation.
This discussion has been closed.