Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just thinkin'

kevin_58
kevin_58 Member Posts: 61
peerless boilers list evaporation rate gpm in there paperwork.
63-03 118,000 btu 0.15 gpm
63-04 177,000 btu 0.23 gpm

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Wondering

I was just sitting here flipping through a steam book and I came up with a question. How much water are we talking about when we talk about condensate in a residential steam system? Is it gallons per minute, or gallons per hour, or cups per hour?

I've seem W/M's great visible steam set up which shows tons of water shooting down the equalizer, but I'd guess that's more likely if the unit is way over fired or really dirty.

Just trying to get a mental image.
  • Good question

On residential steam while we're purging and cleaning the returns , it'll vary . We set up a washer hose into a bucket off the return purge . There'll be nothing coming out for a good long time , maybe 15 , 20 mins . Then a trickle of room temp water for a while , maybe a gallon every few minutes . As the rads fill with steam and start condensing faster , after maybe 1/2 hour to 45 mins , it starts to pour fast . A gallon a minute at the peak would be my guess . It's not a steady stream though . It comes out in bursts . Once the whole system is hot , you'll get nothing but steam out of the return purge .
  • Paul fredricks_15
    Paul fredricks_15 Member Posts: 8

Thanks Ron, that's just what I was looking for.
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    if you do the math

its about a quarter pound of water per EDR. Plus a bit for pick up.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

Even better, Glen. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.