Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I'm done with Hewlett-Packard

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
hey frank, how does the canon work ? i also got a new hp all-in -one # 631`0 & what a piece of junk besides eating ink cartridges like tomorrow was a rumor , it just seems to have developed an identity of its own. i must replace before i just smash it to smithereens. what model Canon did you purchase. hp is living on legend.

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The last HP we will ever buy

was an OfficeJet multifunction printer/fax/scanner/copier. It didn't work out of the box, and HP tech support in India was swearing up and down it was out of warranty- when I had just bought it today at Best Buy! Tomorrow it goes back and we buy another brand.

Stay away from HP for your businesses, unless you're a masochist.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    They

actually give printers away,they sell ink cartridges!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    HP

They are probably made in some sweat shop in some unheard of country now. I bought an Officejet all in one 8 years ago, and it hasn't failed me as of yet. Hope I haven't just put the hex on myself. Besides the costly ink, it works great. It may be more of a Best Buy issue. They have been caught before doing some questionable transactions with their customers. peace
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Well, we will see

I've never had trouble exchanging things at BB in the past, doubt that would be an issue now.

And the HP all-in-one I got for my parents last year was a great unit. I also have an HP monitor, scanner and printer at the house, the original printer at the office is an HP, and TLN and I both have HP laptops. Of course I've never had to call HP tech support on any of these.

If anyone from HP is reading this, you've lost a customer.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tim Smith_9
    Tim Smith_9 Member Posts: 7
    Steamhead, I have had really good luck with brother and Epson

Good innovative products. Good luck, Tim
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253

I've been using HP almost exclusively for the past 7-8 years and haven't had any problems. I only had to call customer service once (not equipment related) and I spoke with a rep in NY state. The call was fairly late and night and I had what I was looking for, plus, in the mail the next day.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    computer problems

part of the blame must go to microsoft, as the latest VISTA operating system does not always work with your old [or new] periferals/software. the next windows will have its own peculiarities as well. better to keep your old windows XP computer working as long as possible. always make sure to keep the original software restoration disks in a safe place, where you can find them, and use them. if buying printers see if you can get one that uses a large capacity lazer cartridge, to keep the cost per page down. generally i have found HP to make good products, although some are only for occasional/home use.

P.S. when i think of "didn't work out of the box", i see honeywell pressuretrol!--nbc

• Samsung really seems to have taken over as the small electronics MFG'er of low cost quality lately.

We have tons of Samsung monitors, phones, and printers and they all do a great job. Not even close to the competition, the monitors literally blow away all the other cheaper ones out there.

If I have to buy blind, or with limited info, I would go samsung every time these days.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

I bought an HP laptop last year. Had some problems right away, but that turned out to be anti-virus related. Then this week I can't burn cd's from Media Player. HP's solution was to use another program that they recommend that is already installed in the unit. Didn't know it was there, and it does work. But MP has worked fine for the last 9 months. What changed? I asked HP why it didn't work now and all they would say is they recommend using the other program.

Think I have to call Microsoft.
  • Jack_44
    Jack_44 Member Posts: 35
    media player woes

This is not an authoritative statement, but something in the back of my tiny brain says that Internet Explorer 8 has some issues with burners & AV software. Did you just update your IE software?

As for printers & multi-function devices, yes, they are sales tools for cartridges. If you can do without color, conventional laser printers are more expensive up front, but have lower per page costs. I've ended up with two - both Epson - one laser MF device & one giant & expensive wide carriage color printer. Color printers with individual cartridges for each color are more practical, in my opinion.
  • Paul Fredricks_9

I typically use Firefox. I haven't upgraded Explorer, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. The only thing I've done recently is renew my antivirus. I'll check the version of Explorer when I get a chance.

I am running vista. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe I should run Linux.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,147
    I've had the same

sort of problem with Dell -- hopeless service. Good enough products, but service? Forget it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

I just renewed my antivirus and in the two weeks since, nothing but mayhem. I haven't been able to get anything working properly for long stints or consecutive tries.

• Paul Fredricks_9

I do like the fact that when you call in they can remotely take control of your computer and solve the issue. Saves a lot of back and forth, language barrier issue.

Yeah, I know, someone else in your computer. I'm not sweating it.
  • billtwocase
    PC's

Whole different ball game Paul. Compaq was one of the best, next to IBM PC, untill they merged with HP. I bought 2, both were garbage. The vista program is also no damn good as well. As stated by another, keep your XP alive as long as possible. peace
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

I have Vista premium and LOVE it. Vista home basic is junk. You need to spend the $$ to upgrade.
  • billtwocase
    It's sad

That you buy a PC, pay for the software, and it's junk. I personally have been lookin long and hard at Mac. I don't think they pull that different software labeling crap. I'll have to recheck my daughter's lap top for her Vista version. It's not the Home edition, and has failed many many times, Not a good thing for a college student. The lap top is an IBM Thinkpad, top of the line in every way. Software is Vsta garbage. peace
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Took the HP back today

to Best Buy, and exchanged it for a Canon. Talked to the same salesperson, he said "no problem!". The Canon worked out of the box with no setup issues. Enough said.

All our systems run Windows XP. I built them all except for the laptops. I did build a Vista machine too, but so far I'm not that impressed with it. Too much distracting eye candy, some programs and hardware don't work with it, and it's slower than XP even with Service Pack 1.

Windows 7 has been described as Microsoft's last chance. If it bombs, Gates & Co. will lose a lot of their relevance.

Now that we can get Linux, Firefox and OpenOffice for free, and these programs cover about 90% of what we do with PCs except accounting, why should we pay Microsoft for their bloatware? I even got Slant/Fin's heat loss program to run on Ubuntu Linux using the WINE emulator. It only remains for some good Linux accounting software to come out, and Microsoft becomes irrelevant....

• billtwocase
    well said Steam

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    via xkcd.com

via: http://xkcd.com/

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• xkcd is my favorite :D
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Nothing but HP printers here

I had a laser 2550 that worked flawlessly for three years but it got to the point where replacing the 3 color, 1 black cartridge along with the drum was more expensive than buying a new printer. I've had n Officejet Pro 8500 wireless now for a couple months and have had no problems. It even prints photos so well I put away my dedicated photo printer.

• Hi Bob- I have an Canon MP800R which I've been using for over a year and have been very happy with it.

After going through several Epsons that only lasted 8 months or so, I changed over to Canon. Canon's photo printing seems as good as Epson's and the printer (at least this model) seems better built and has been trouble free. I'd classify myself as a moderate printer user, printing maybe a ream of paper (500 sheets) every 3 weeks with about 50-50 pictures to text. It eats ink at about the same rate as all the others.

- Rod
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    competition for HP?

this line of equipment looks very robust!
    http://www.slipperybrick.com/tag/steampunk/
    is it now time to release the fuel consumption figures on some of those major refits and replacements from last year?
    nbc
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    I use a Epson Photo RX 620, works real well for an inkjet

That is at home. At the office I use standalone devices. Laser printers, fax and soon Documate Xerox auto feed scanner.
This discussion has been closed.