Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam System not working

have a look at the manual for your boiler, either from your files, or on line. it will have specific instructions, and specs for the piping layout around the boiler, pipe diameters, etc. were these followed, without deviation? a copy of "the lost art of steam heating", available here would be a good book for you to read, making you a more informed steam system owner. generally, there are no bad steam systems, only bad installers, who do not read the boiler manual.--nbc

Comments

• Terry Joshi
    Terry Joshi Member Posts: 2
    Steam System problems after boiler conversion

I converted from oil to gas this year and my existing steam system has not worked properly since then. Only half of my house warms up; the pipes farthest from the boiler do not heat except on the coldest days and if I push the heat up to 70-72. It's a Weil McLain boiler, 87% efficiency rating. My installers insist there is nothing else they can do. We have changed the air vents, etc., to no avail.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Terry

Did you change the boiler or just the burner?

Might go grab your camera or phone, the steam pros will want pictures.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,149
    and while you're at it

was the thermostat changed? What's the cycles per hour on it?

And how was the burner (I presume it was just the burner?)sized? To EDR, I hope? Or to heat loss? If it was sized to heat loss, you may be rather undersized...

What pressure are you running?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.