Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

grease buildup in drain

thanks, i'll give it a try--nbc

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    grease buildup in drain

anyone had experience with some preventative procedures to alleviate grease build up in restaurant drains. i know that lye [sodium hydroxide] plus grease = soap, but does it work in drains?--nbc
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Try this:

Natural Enviro 1000 - Grease Trap Solution...
    www.naturalenviro.com

This is a bacterial type product.Does a fairly good job.No lye.
    I used to use Chloroben PT. don't know if it is still available or not.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Install...

a grease trap and have it cleaned on regular intervals. Is a grease trap not a code requirement in your area for this application/use?

Lye (sodium hydroxide) based crystal drain cleaners should be effective on grease deposits however.
  • an old wrench puller
    an old wrench puller Member Posts: 73
    I like this stuff

http://www.zepcommercial.com/products.asp?category=11

Any good supplyhouse will have a good non- acid cleaner. regular use is the key.
  • yeah, g traps in restaurants

i thought they're national code
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Bio-Clean

has environmentally safe products for both residential and commercial application. A time proven product line
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Good to see you again, Mike!

How's things at M & A?..I see some of your guys coming bck up the road in the afternoons.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    if it isn't

code in your area to have a grease trap on a commercial kitchen (e.g. restaurant, school, etc.) it should be. In any event, do install one -- at the very least on the dishwasher drain and any sinks used for cleaning or dishwashing.

And Then Make Sure It Is Cleaned Out! Can't tell you how many grease traps I have inspected which were never cleaned out.

You'll need a drain cleaner as the other guys have mentioned to get rid of the gook that's already there...

Trust me: you'll have much better drains -- and the guys at the sewer plant will be very appreciative! Of course, if you have a septic tank, the guys who clean it will hate you, as they won't have to pump it so often!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.