Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Boiler water level

Tim_74
Tim_74 Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I have steam radiators connected to a gas boiler furnace. The house inspector said that he thought it was overfilled with water. Just today the LWCO light started coming on. Now I can't tell if the sight glass is completely full of water or completely empty. Is there an easy way to tell. If I add water to an already over-full boiler is that bad? Thanks.

Tim

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Sounds like

you can't tell what the water level actually is. This is NOT GOOD. Have a pro look at it- click on Resources above, then Find a Professional and follow the instructions. This is a safety issue which may have one of several causes, and you need a knowledgeable pro.

If you're in the Baltimore area, contact me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,149
    Steamhead's right

(no surprise). While there are, or should be, easy ways to tell if the sight glass is completely full or completely empty, I'm not going to lead you there: an over-full boiler is indeed bad, serious bad -- and an under-full boiler, assuming you could over ride the low water cut out -- is even worse.

I'm not trying to be evasive -- but you need a pro.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    pro or not

like Jamie said , you need a pro or you will need a new boiler !!
This discussion has been closed.