Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil smell

walt_9
walt_9 Member Posts: 1
A customer called me regarding an oil smell on the second floor of her two family home. I relined her chimney with a stainless steel liner and the problem still exists. The house uses oil to heat the water in the baseboards. I would appreciate any advice that would help this situation.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    oil smell

if you can smell the oil fumes in the basement, then there could be a pipe chase through which the fumes can rise to the upper floor. when you find it plug it with insulation.-nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,150
    does it do it

every time the boiler runs, or only just once in a while? Sometimes an odd draught condition outside -- the wind just right -- can bring the smell back inside.

You might also run a complete check on the burner -- if it isn't adjusted quite right, it can make a good deal more smell than if the combustion is spot on...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    oil smell

It could be a dozen things that cause this. When was the last servicing? Burnt out dry base boiler? negative draft over fire? Ignition transformer/ignitors ok? Pre-purge? Draft control? Cap on the liner? There are alot of potential reasons. peace
This discussion has been closed.