Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate trap problems

Rob Blair
Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
Just looked at a job where the float trap stuck, condensate backed up and resulted in the following pictures.

Has anyone else have problems with these types of traps plugging up.

Not my job.

Rob

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    More problems than meets the eye...

Your boiler may have been recalled. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07151.html

Beyond that, the leak appears to be coming from the top of the boiler, where the exhaust horn connects to the heat exchanger,

Based on the standing water line, the combustion chamber was submerged about half way. Not enough to cause the leakage shown coming from the top of the unit...

Many things can cause the condensate to back up. I had a slime growing in my trap that caused it to back up. Fortunately, my boiler has a float switch which causes it to lock out and avoid submerging the chamber.

Could also be vapor locked...Could also be clinkers mixed with slime.

What does the fire/burner door refractory look like?

I started putting copper sulfate in the trap to keep the fungus from among us.

Keeps tree roots out of my sewer as well.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    Is it a Trinity Rob?

In any case, that would be pretty shocking to me if it didn't have that "blocked-trap" lockout feature. We've had that condition on Buderus GB with a customer who insisted she didn't need the yearly maintenence (she said the cost cut in to hr r.o.i!!!). Anyway, we got the no heat call and sure enough the GB would not fire up and was flashing the code that indicates a blocked trap. The unit had run 3 years w/out a service. We had to really soak the trap for a while an scrub the HX w/ a wire bush, but it DID lockout and would not run till THAT POINT OF OVERFLOW. I don't know if that is a Trinity or what, but we lost a snowmelt job to a company that was providing it while we were offering a Viessman...the HO could not be convinced it was "any better." Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rob Blair

Yes it was but I know that the trap is used in many different brands/models.
    The homeowner said he noticed a "small" drip but ignored it. From the stains I would say it was dripping for a while.

Installing the replacement today.

rob
  • Rob Blair
    Not one of the recalled units.

I installed/sold some of the recalled units. The problem stemmed from a plastic Y in the condensate that could possibly deteriorate. This was a newer model beyond the recall.

If you are ever in Pittsburgh Mark, please look me up.

Rob 724-316-3405
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

Our Canadian plumbing code would not allow you to pipe directly into a drain! An air space is required. It seems that the AC drain is also piped directly into the drain. This is dangerous as bacteria and fungus can inflitrate the ventilation system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,150
    Plumbing code

US code is no different (for once the US code is almost as tight as the Canadian!). There must be an air gap; not only that, but the pipe must be anchored in such a way that it can't possibly slip down.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rob Blair

It is not piped directly. There is a Tee in the line that the condensate feeds into. Also, on the bottom right there is a trap for the AC condensate, although it would be tough to clean.

Again, I have to express that this is not my install.

Thanks,

Rob
  • Nikolai
    Nikolai Member Posts: 31
    .NTI Condensate trap

Rob
    Please read some iformation regarding Condensate trap that come with the Trinity boilers but it needs a little bit work done before installation. Nick
  • Rob Blair

Thanks Nick!!

Rob
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

We install a lot of the NTI Trinity boilers. The little ball in the trap is nothing but a problem. NTI will say to clean it and put it back in the trap. But the only purpose of the ball in to prevent flue gases from entering the room if the trap is dry. From what I have seen, it only takes a minute for the trap to fill up, so I take the balls out.

The leak on the top is unrelated. Be careful, the flue collection part where the PVC connects is only plastic. Any downward weight could have broken it. The PVC should have connected with a rubber coupling. The photo looks like it may be glued directly on. Not a good thing when service is required.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    But Dave.....you might be voiding the manufacturer's warranty

Don't you LOVE hearing that! I'd do the same thing. WE are the ones that get the calls and get left holding the bag...sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. You could have a pretty cool marble collection atleast!!!!! Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rob Blair

Dave,

I like the idea of a rubber coupling, but it scares me a little when they are so worried about using solid core pipe for the exhaust. What is the temperature rating of a rubber collar? I know exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Rob
This discussion has been closed.