Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating Syatem shot in old house...totally stuck.

Options
Tombig_2
Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
Can't tell from the pics about the condition of the boiler but it looks like you inherited somewhat of a mess. It's piped wrong for the steam application and it seems that all the hot water loops are piped from the condensate/below water line heated water. See the other post "baseboard from condensate" and you'll get a better idea where you're at.

Not sure how much radiation you have of either type but you need to get a pro in there and decipher the mess. Steamheads idea of keeping steam heat and hot water heat systems separate is a good one.

Firstly get good steam/burner man in there to see if the steam side of the equation is salvageable. Then look at the hydronic zones and domestic water situation to know where to go next.

Good luck, hopefully a Wallie in your area might take notice. Tom G.

Comments

• Caz
    Caz Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Heating Syatem shot in old house...totally stuck.

Hi everyone. I was sent over here from this old house web in the hopes that someone can advise me. I bought a 1919 house with the old steam radiators. I have an oil furnace (only 11 years old) that is totally corroded and needs to be replaced. The previous owners added a radiant heat system (just for one room in the house) to the furnace and a toe kick heater - in a different room. So - I was told all these add-ons may have contributed to the early furnace death. Anyway I want to keep the steam radiators but I'm considering switching to gas from oil. Is there a better choice with the old radiators? Also what is to stop the early corrosion from happening again? Thanks so much!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I'd

install a separate, very small boiler for the toe-kick, radiant and add an indirect heater for your hot faucet water. Then a new steam boiler for the rest of the house. You probably won't be happy with the toe-kick though- as a rule they are noisy and don't always heat the room well.

The best residential steamer is oil-fired.... the Burnham MegaSteam. But they don't offer it in a gas version.....

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    More Information Needed

First of all you do not have a furnace. A furnace provides hot air heating. You have a boiler. You need to provide the make and model of the boiler and some pictures of the installation. You need to advise us what the settings are for the steam pressure. You need to advise if this is a two pipe steam system. You should also tell us your location so that a steam expert can look at your system.
  • Caz
    Options
    See I don't even know what it's called

furnace...burner...I am trying to attach pics. I'm in NJ - Morris County.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    boiler

The steam boiler is a Utica Starfire with a Beckett AFG burner. Looks like the problem occured when they installed this boiler. Sad but true, don't install properly, lives a short life. You need a pro that will service your area. More wrong than right going on in "that old house" Switching from oil to gas is not your way out of this. peace
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    shot boiler

your boiler may be repairable and capable of being re-burnered for gas, if it has the right specs. i am sure if it is installed right you should be able to get 25-40 years out of it. post some pictures and relevant information-make/model/etc.--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Bill's right- that poor Starfire

whoever installed it wasted no time reading the I&O manual! Make sure whoever replaces it knows what they're doing. Have you tried the Find a Professional page of this site?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,356
    Options
    But don't be discouraged!

The boiler is probably history -- true. However, it is unlikely that the rest of the steam system and radiators is damaged. Steam systems are amazingly robust -- and amazingly simple, really. Perhaps more to the point, besides the boiler (sorry about that) they aren't that expensive to put right and get running wonderfully well again.

Do check and look for a pro in your area -- I know there are some here on the Wall -- and do get, if you really want to learn how your system is supposed to work, one or two of Dan's books; they're written for laymen as well as for pros, and are very helpful.

And keep the faith!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options

Hi Caz -
    Well you are about to become unstuck as you have found the right place! I'm a homeowner and was in a similar situation as yours. I knew very little about steam and have learned a lot from the steam pros on this board.

From looking at your pictures it is fairly obvious who ever did the boiler installation didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. There are a lot of people out there in the heating business but very few that understand steam heating. I would suggest two things:

1. Look under the "resources" tab at the top of this page and click on "Find a Professional". That should find you a Steam Pro near you who could take a look at your system. This is probably the easiest way to get yourself straightened out.

2.I would also get Dan Holohan's books on steam heating. (See "A Steamy Deal" at the bottom of this page.) They are written for the home owner and are easy reading (not just textbooks!),and are crammed full of information about steam heating. I would suggest you read "We Got Steam Heat" first before "The Lost Art of Steam Heating". I was almost ready to junk my steam system and these books helped me get it straightened out. They have paid for themselves many times over.

- Rod
  • Caz
    Options
    Thanks..

to everyone that posted. I am really beginning to hate the PO's of this house. :) I just ordered the book "We got steam heat" and I will try to learn. Will check above for a steam expert in Northern NJ but if anyone is out there give me a shout. Thanks again all.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    old houses

gotta love them. Everthing that you do is a challenge. Good luck to you Caz. peace
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    at the end ---joy

what are the PO's of the house?

when your system is finally in good health, you will love it!! it will be because you played a big part in its revival, by observing, by learning how these old systems work. i think you will be pleased when you have got to the end of the road with this, how QUIET, COMFORTABLE, and ECONOMICAL your system will now be!! as you can tell, here we all love them.--nbc
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    not listed

Caz if you cannot find anyone listed in your area give me a shout(e mail)i am located in north jersy bergeni would second pretty much what steam head had stated only issue may be your chimmey but it would have to be checked out don't feel so bad i have seen worse it seems PO did not want to spend additinal monies for a additional boiler looks like that poor utica was over worked peace and good luck clammy PS dan i owe you a few bricks RDEUZA@aol.com
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,753
    Options
    Caz, When you say totally corroded, what were you told

about the boiler. Is it just scaling inside? Was the boiler leaking water out the bottom? Or is it just dirty. A lot of times we go on jobs where customers are told they need a new boiler and what they really need is a thorough cleaning and in your case specifically a repipe of near boiler piping... Hope this is the case for you. Tim
  • Howard Emerson
    Howard Emerson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    PO stands for...........

Prior Owners........
This discussion has been closed.