Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Compression tank mystery

Options
Servicewiz_3
Servicewiz_3 Member Posts: 57
Why would a compression tank (non- bladder type) have a compressed air line running to the top of it???? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• What's the line connected to ?

If there's a valve at the top of the tank , my guess is to let air in when draining ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    compressed air line ?

take a pic and post it?
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    because...

it kept waterlogging (are there vents elsewhere in the system?) and the HO figured it was easier to add air w/ a compressor than to drain water and allow air to enter naturally?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    air line

Is it a B&G fitting or equivelent? Some exspansion tanks of old had these fittings to direct air to the top of the tank for ease af draining when they got full. They must also be sealed back up during operation, or the tank would fill right back up, or there is a pin hole in the tank allowing it to fill in less than a year. Thread sealer on the bleeder. peace
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I service a 10 story condo bldg and could not get the tank to hold air so I made a ftg that screws onto the hose bib drain and plugs into my compressor. System runs very different with half a tank of air! It was flooded all the time before, and I was called because they had the relief valve on one of the two boilers changed 4 times and were tired of being charged for this. Has not popped once since I got air in the tank and there was no other way to get air in there besides the compressor...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Vents

Scrook's nailed it. I've seen this many times on large commercial systems. The operating engineers (I think stationary engineers is a better name) do this because it is an easier solution than correcting the underlying problem. I have also seen this practice cause some expensive problems.

P.S. Using a compressor to add air to a tank is not a problem, leaving it connected can be.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.