Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expanding Foam

Options
MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
Hey guys, anyone have any info on Expanding foam products such as Dow "Great Stuff" Polyurethane foam being safe for use of sealing/firestopping penetrations around any kind of Pex or Pex Al Pex tubing, wondering if this product will attack the Pex in any way, thanks for your help.

Comments

• MikeyB
    Options
    foam

Thanks Mike, but I cannot seem to access that thread
  • bb_11
    bb_11 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Foam

There is a foam made for high temps. Can't remember who makes it, but the supply house should have it.

I don't think Great Stuff can handle the high temps.

You may want to look @ DAP. They make a low temp spray that is a lot easier to work with. It cleans up easier too. Don't get the Great Stuff on you skin. It does not want to come off.

Good Luck.
  • MikeyB
    Options
    DOW

Thanks bb, I will check out the Dow products, i have used the great stuff before but never on pex style tubing, would like to use it in the future for both pex domestic and pex heating applications
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,426
    Options
    shouldn't

attack PEX. But it Great Stuff and things like it are not firestops at all. There are special foam in place things for that. Any good supply house should have them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • k_2
    k_2 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    re

bought some of that stuff and it burns as well as anything, if you are really worried use the regular intumescent caulk.

I was surprised, burned as easily if not more than blue foam.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    can't access that thread?

copy and paste it into your browser window. i just checked it and it worked. or, scroll down 20 or so subjects and look for; Sprayed Foam over PEX in heat distribution plates...good idea? that's what the link connects to
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Options
  • MikeyB
    Options
    foam

I think that Great Stuff just came out w/a fire proof expanding foam, its at the Depot
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    not much should hurt PEX

chemically, but if you need firestopping at a minimum look at fire stop rated foams (e.g. the Hilti material cited below), and some fire codes may require an intumescent fire stop material, which will swell in fire conditions, closing the breech made when the PEX melts or burns away.
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Thd titled...

"Sprayed Foam over PEX in heat distribution plates...good idea?"

March 18, 2009

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    not much should hurt PEX chemically,

but some foams are exothermic and can reach 200+degs, so the high temps may damage the surface and weaken it
  • MikeyB
    Options
    Hilti

I have used alot of the Hilti material alot in the past, bricks, caulk, etc, all work great, I love their tools as well
  • kpc_71
    kpc_71 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Depends on....

what your application is. In most residential apps they say fireproofing but really mean smoke proofing. A wood structure is pretty hard to fireproof.
  • Ray_14
    Ray_14 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Dow does make a code approved flame retardent foam. My wholesaler carries it. It comes out orange. You have to buy a hand gun and a can of spray cleaner with it.
This discussion has been closed.