Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pressure too low?

Options
Mark Z_2
Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
Experts, 1 pipe parallel steam system, have my pressuretrol set at 1/2 psi cut in w/ a 1-1/2 psi differential. Just installed a low pressure gauge, 0-20 oz/sq" to monitor 'old betsy' to see if she exactly at what pressure she's operating. While in operation during boiling, gauge never broke 1/2 oz. is this a normal operating pressure during the boiling? I have excellent venting on the mains and each rad is vent corretly in accordance w/ rad venting guide. The system is set up so that 1 particular rad, closest to the T-stat, is vented so that the T-stat is tripped after all the rads have heated completely. Is there something I'm missing or did I just waste $45 on a low pressure gauge re-confirming perfection.

thanks, Mark Z

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,428
    Options
    Doesn't sound

abnormal to me -- if you think about it, there's no reason -- other than friction loss in the pipes, which is very small -- why pressure should build unless all the vents are closed and (very important and!) all the radiators are pretty well hot so you are getting less condensation than the boiler is boiling water...

Don't think you're missing anything -- but it's always nice to have a low pressure gauge!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Boiler pressure too low

Jamie, thanks for the reply. My mind was saying the same thing w/ regards to near-zero restriction should all vents, main and individual, be operating properly. Rads all get piping hot simultaneously until T-stat is tripped by singular rad 13 ft away. Knowing this, at least if I do start to get higher readings on the LPG, it will be a tell-tale sign that something is probably wrong w/ venting or/maybe some form of pipe/valve restriction. Appreciate the verification/clarification.

best regards, Mark Z
This discussion has been closed.