Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

voltage drop

Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
its 120v...but if there was a short by the furnace wouldnt it just trip the breaker for the furnace not the whole house breaker 100 amp
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    voltage drop

what can cause voltage to drop @ a furnace (from 120v to 90v) making the lights in the house flicker and eventually tripping the MAIN breaker.....
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Something is shorting out

Try disconecting the blowermotor. Is this a 220 unit? It's not so commont to have a single circuit kick the main. In other countries where the mains are ground fault we see it all the time. Something is causing esentually a direct short if i's doing that. make sure the wires are not pinched somewhere and check all the electrical componets.
  • wouldnt it just trip the breaker for the furnace?

not always. and i've seen similar with no explanation from MEs.

put an ammeter on the blower motor and watch to see if it over-amps/trips it
  • Todd_46
    Todd_46 Member Posts: 1

The problem may not be at the furnace. Check the incoming service to the home. Check both hot legs to ground, they should read the same voltage. I had a customer this year that was having voltage issues. When I checked there service, there was a big difference in the incoming voltages. At that point I called the power company. They found that a tree branch had grone through the power line. Just a thought.
  • Mark dewolfe
    Mark dewolfe Member Posts: 1
    power issue

in this case I would bet you have one leg of the main breaker gone intermitted. the contacts are heating up and the breaker is tripping on a thermal fault. There are very few reasons for a main breaker to trip in a residential panel so I would get a replacemnt out there pronto. sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Peace Mark
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    the transformer on the utility pole

the utility can test, even data log a step down transformer to see if it is the cause.

A neighbor, on the same transformer with a large load, a sawmill for instance :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Larry C_13
    Larry C_13 Member Posts: 94

120V to 90V is a RED FLAG that indicates a serious problem. The causes can be many. This is best left to a professional! Get a compentant electrician in there ASAP.

Problems could be bad circuit breaker, loose connection in branch circuit wiring, open neutral in branch circuit, bad connection(s) in main panel, bad main breaker, bad connection in service drop, bad connection in utility equipment, over heating in main panel, open neutral connection, poor neutral ground bond, etc.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING A COMPENTENT ELECTRICIAN IN THERE ASAP.

Larry C
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,150
    Pull the Plug!

I second the comments -- get an electrician out there pronto! And until he comes, turn the main power to the building OFF and leave it off.

Your two least desirable options on this one are someone gets killed or the place burns down; either one is moderately likely.

A general rule I like for electrics: if a breaker -- any breaker -- or fuse blows, find the problem and fix it before you reset if at all possible. If the breaker is mission critical (here's the former pilot speaking) you can reset it once, and once only; otherwise leave it popped until you find and fix the problem.

I don't care to speculate on the problem -- but an open neutral will do this. Among other things...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    voltage problem

This problem needs serious attention as stated above. It sounds like one side (90v) is getting partially grounded some how. Finding the cause will take checking each circuit on that leg when loaded to isolate the cause. Don't fool with this. There is some wire/motor overheated somewhere. Let us know what you find.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.